Steele, artist in Death March, dies | Global News

Steele, artist in Death March, dies

/ 02:41 AM September 28, 2016

BILLINGS, Montana—Ben Steele’s hold on his sanity as a prisoner of war after surviving the Bataan Death March relied on hidden scraps of paper, stolen pieces of charcoal, and his artist’s memory of scenes from his home in Montana.

“I used to dream about Montana more than anything else, more than I did food and I used to dream about food all the time,” Steele once said.


“I was awful sick and I thought I was going crazy, so I had to do something to occupy my mind,” he said.

Steele, a former art professor, died on Sunday in Billings with wife Shirley and daughters Julie Jorgenson and Rosemarie Steele at his side.


He had been in hospice care for more than a year and succumbed to an infection, Julie Jorgenson said. He was 98.

Many people knew Steele’s stories from World War II and what he endured as a prisoner, but “it’s his personality, his warm caring personality that made people love him,” Jorgenson said.

“His students would come up to me and say, ‘Ben and I have a special bond.’ But he made everyone feel special,” she added.

Drawing camp life

During the war, other prisoners saw what he was doing and suggested he draw what he saw around him.


He created depictions of life in the camp in charcoal on the floor, and then with pencils and paper that other prisoners smuggled to him.

“I kept little scraps of paper, the inside of cigarette packages, that kind of thing,” Steele said in a 2004 interview with The Billings Gazette. His original sketches were lost.

After his liberation in 1945 and during his long recovery, he recreated sketches and made paintings depicting the march and his three and a half years as a prisoner of war in the Philippines and Japan.


Faces of the dead

He said the artwork helped him deal with the suffering he endured and the faces of the dead and dying he saw in his mind.

Steele was bayoneted, starved and beaten, and suffered dysentery, malaria, pneumonia and septicemia. He lost 80 lbs.

“I had lots of problems to work through,” he said in 2004, “and the doctors thought the art was a good idea.”


Steele became an art professor at Eastern Montana College, which later became Montana State University-Billings.

Learning to forgive

He said he learned to forgive his Japanese captors because of his relationship with Harry Koyama, an art student of Japanese heritage who took courses from him.

“He’s been a part of my life since I met him in college in the 1960s,” Koyama, a western artist with a gallery in Billings, said about Steele.

“That’s even more of a humbling experience to know that I had not just an effect, but a positive effect on his life,” he added.

Steele was born on Nov. 17, 1917, in the small Montana town of Roundup and grew up riding horses, roping cattle and occasionally delivering supplies to western artist Will James.

He was a US Army Air Corps private in the Philippines when the Japanese captured his unit in 1942 during World War II.

The march of more than 70,000 Filipino and American soldiers, which followed the surrender of Bataan on April 9 that year to the Japanese Imperial Army, began on April 10 from Mariveles and April 11 from Bagac town, also in Bataan.

Many died of hunger and dehydration along the way or were killed traversing the 102-km route that ended at a train station in the City of San Fernando in Pampanga province.

From there, they were crammed into freight boxes and transported to Capas town in neighboring Tarlac province.

Chronicled in best-seller

Steele’s survival story was chronicled in the 2009 New York Times best-seller “Tears in the Darkness: The Story of the Bataan Death March and Its Aftermath,” by Michael and Elizabeth Norman.

An Ohio teenager, Lexi Winkelfoos, traveled to Montana twice to visit Steele after reading the book for a history project when she was a sophomore.

Exorcising image

“I just wanted to know that he was happy after everything he had been through,” Winkelfoos said during her second visit last year.

Steele continued to paint into his late 90s.

“Many times he would draw the same image over and over as if exorcising it from his conscience,” Brandon Reintjes, curator at the Montana Museum of Art and Culture at University of Montana told the Gazette last year.

“He has a nearly photographic memory and these events are indelibly embedded in his mind.”

His powerful sketches and paintings of his time in captivity are housed at the university museum in Missoula.

“I kind of felt an obligation to the guys who went through that, to illustrate what went on over there,” Steele said. “I wanted to tell the story.”

A memorial service is scheduled at 1:30 p.m. on Oct. 4 at Montana Pavilion at MetraPark. Reports from AP and Inquirer archives

Your subscription could not be saved. Please try again.
Your subscription has been successful.

Subscribe to our daily newsletter

By providing an email address. I agree to the Terms of Use and acknowledge that I have read the Privacy Policy.

Read Next
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: Bataan Death March, Global Nation, Philippine News
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.
Your subscription could not be saved. Please try again.
Your subscription has been successful.

Subscribe to our global news

By providing an email address. I agree to the Terms of Use and acknowledge that I have read the Privacy Policy.

© Copyright 1997-2023 | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.