Abu Sayyaf releases Norwegian hostage
ZAMBOANGA CITY—Abu Sayyaf spokesperson Abu Ramie said Norwegian national Kjartan Sekkingstad was freed and handed to a Moro National Liberation Front commander in Barangay (village) Bud Pula in Patikul town on Saturday.
He said Sekkingstad was released around 3:30 p.m. to MNLF commander Tahil Sali.
Earlier, Ramie said they have readied Sekkingstad for release since Friday night.
READ: Abus: Norwegian captive ready for release, but where’s ransom?
Ramie said they were just waiting for the delivery of the P30-million ransom in exchange for Sekkingstad’s freedom.
Sekkingstad was one of the four people the Abu Sayyaf abducted from a marina on Samal Island in Davao del Norte. Two of his companions, Canadians John Ridsdel and Robert Hall were beheaded separately.
Hall’s Filipino girlfriend, Marites Flor was also freed in June. Last month, President Duterte said P50 million had already been paid for the Norwegian’s release but the Abu Sayyaf held on to him.
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.