Close  

Abus: Norwegian captive ready for release, but where’s ransom?

/ 12:59 PM September 17, 2016

ZAMBOANGA CITY, Philippines—Abu Sayyaf spokesperson Abu Ramie said Norwegian national Kjartan Sekkingstad was readied for release since Friday night.

Ramie said they were just waiting for the delivery of the P30-million ransom in exchange for Sekkingstad’s freedom.

ADVERTISEMENT

READ: Duterte spills secret: P50M paid to Abu Sayyaf

Sekkingstad was one of the four people the Abu Sayyaf abducted from a marina on Samal Island in Davao del Norte. Two of his companions, Canadians John Ridsdel and Robert Hall were beheaded separately.

BACKSTORY: Abu Sayyaf: We are going to behead Norwegian hostage

Hall’s Filipino girlfriend, Marites Flor was also freed in June. Last month, President Rodrigo Duterte said P50 million had already been paid for the Norwegian’s release but the Abu Sayyaf held on to him.

Read Next
LATEST STORIES
MOST READ
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.
View comments

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: Abu Sayyaf, banditry, Hostage, Kjartan Sekkingstad, Norwegian, release
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.


© Copyright 1997-2019 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.