PH condemns North Korea missile launch
The Philippine government on Wednesday evening hit the reported missile launch of the Democratic People’s Republic of Korea (DPRK) or North Korea last week.
“The Philippines condemns DPRK’s latest missile launch on 3 August 2016,” the Department of Foreign Affairs said in a statement.
“This action seriously undermines regional peace and stability in the Korean Peninsula,” it said.
The Philippines also urged North Korea to “comply with its international obligations under relevant UN Security Council resolutions and to the process of constructive dialogue.”
The statement came after the United Nations Security Council failed to agree on a statement strongly condemning the launch, which resulted in the missile landing near Japan.
One of the two medium-range ballistic missiles fired by North Korea reportedly ended in Japan’s territorial waters. The other missile supposedly exploded upon launching.
North Korea has repeatedly attempted to fire missiles — despite opposition from the international community — with recent attempts said to be in protest of the US-South Korea military drills.
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.