Close  

Why 9 Filipinos were spared death over Sabah attack

/ 03:53 PM July 27, 2016

ZAMBOANGA CITY – Nine Filipinos, who were earlier sent to the death row in Sabah for the 2013 Lahad Datu attacks, were spared the gallows after a review of their case, the Malaysian state media said on Tuesday.

In a report posted on the Nam News Network, Bernama said the nine Filipinos were in their senior years and were among the more than 400 individuals charged in connection with the “invasion” carried out by followers of the Sulu sultanate from February 11 to March 24, 2013.

ADVERTISEMENT

Dozens of people – including Sulu armed men and Malaysian security forces – were killed in the violence that also displaced people from various Lahad Datu areas.

They were earlier found guilty of waging war against the Malaysian king and had been sentenced to death under Malaysia’s penal code.

FEATURED STORIES

However, after reviewing their case, Judge Stephen Chung ruled that Atik Hussin Abu Bakar, 45; Basad H. Manuel, 41; Ismail Yasin, 76; Virgilio Nemar Patulada alias Mohammad Alam Patulada, 52; Salib Akhmad Emali, 63; Al Wazir Osman, 61; Tani Lahaddahi, 63; Julham Rashid, 69; and Datu Amir Bahar Hushin Kiram, 53; were not directly involved in the skirmishes that occurred, nor was there proof that they had killed any member of the security force in cold blood or had injured anybody.

Militant Moro group Suara Bangsamoro said it welcomed the recent decision made by Chung.

Amirah Lidasan, national president of Suara Bangsamoro, said they were also “relieved about the decision.”

Lidasan said the government should have “interceded in the Lahad Datu affair by helping our Filipino compatriots.”

“We hope (that) with this decision of Malaysian authorities, it will help bridge the gap between the Kiram family and the Malaysian government. It helps to also recognize that the new administration of President (Rodrigo) Duterte vowed to help the Kiram family resolve the situation. This will also help bridge the relations between the two countries,” she said.  SFM

ADVERTISEMENT
Read Next
LATEST STORIES
MOST READ
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.
View comments

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: 2013 Lahad Datu attacks, Al Wazir Osman, Amira Lidasan, Atik Hussin Abu Bakar, Basad H. Manuel, Crime, Datu Amir Bahar Hushin Kiram, Features, Global Nation, invasion, Ismail Yasin, Judge Stephen Chung, Julham Rashid, Justice, Kiram Family, Law, Malaysia, Mindanao, Philippine president, Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte, Philippines, President Rodrigo Duterte, Rodrigo Duterte, Sabah, Salib Akhmad Emali, Stephen Chung, Suara Bangsamoro, Sulu sultanate, Tani Lahaddahi, Virgilio Nemar Patulada alias Mohammad Alam Patulada, waging war against the Malaysian king
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.
entertainment

Barbie on JM: We’re still not ok with each other

May 20, 2019 12:07 AM

entertainment

Benjamin Alves living with grief

May 20, 2019 12:05 AM

entertainment

How Bailey May handles flirty girls

May 20, 2019 12:04 AM




© Copyright 1997-2019 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.