Filipino-Chinese hostage of Abu Sayyaf freed
The Abu Sayyaf released its Filipino-Chinese hostage in Zamboanga City on Tuesday, the military said.
Rian Tan Nunez, 21, was released on Cawa-Cawa Boulevard in Zamboanga City at around 6 p.m., a military official who spoke on condition of anonymity said on Thursday.
The official said the family requested not to talk about the release because the grandfather of the freed victim, Antonio Tan, was still in the hands of the Abu Sayyaf.
It was not clear if ransom was paid but the military official said Nunez was kept in Sulu under Abu Sayyaf subleader Alhaby Misaya.
“The elder Tan was separated by their captors and they never saw each other again,” the official said.
Nunez is now in Zamboanga del Sur and has reunited with his family.
The Abu Sayyaf, known for terroristic and kidnap-for-ransom activities, is still keeping several Filipino and foreign hostages. It beheaded Canadian hostage John Ridsdel last month after the ransom of P300 million was not paid. TVJ/rga
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.