US Navy admiral says sailing past Chinese isles not a threat
BEIJING — The head of the US Pacific military forces says the US naval challenge last week to China’s sovereignty claims in the South China Sea was not designed as a military threat.
Adm. Harry B. Harris Jr. spoke Tuesday to Stanford University students studying at Peking University during his first visit to the Chinese capital as commander of US Pacific Command.
Harris has been outspoken in his criticism of China’s land reclamation in the South China Sea. In March, he said China is “creating a great wall of sand” that is causing serious concern about militarizing reefs and artificial islands in an area of competing territorial claims by several nations.
But in his remarks Tuesday, he was mostly upbeat in his assessment of prospects for improving relations with China.
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.