More Indians tag arrested group for kidnappings
At least 30 Indian nationals have come forward claiming they were also kidnapping victims of the group arrested last week by the National Bureau of Investigation.
The Indians went to the NBI headquarters on Wednesday to press charges against the four suspects earlier captured for the Sept. 25 kidnapping of businessman Juhar Singh, a compatriot who was rescued a week later in Cabuyao City, Laguna province.
NBI-National Capital Region director Max Salvador said the Indian nationals positively identified the group led by Zahr Ahmed Chaudhry, a Pakistani, as the persons who abducted them.
The NBI rescue operation for Singh also recovered from the suspects a 9mm Beretta pistol with a “Philippine National Police” marking and serial number G41461Z. “We are now in the process of identifying the others who are involved,” Salvador said.
Based on the statement of the new complainants, some of them paid ransom in millions of pesos years ago, he added.
NBI Assistant Regional Director Rommel Vallejo also said that because these past victims never reported their abduction, Chaudhry’s group got bolder.
“They were warned that their family would also be killed if they report to the authorities. They only found courage after the recent rescue (of Singh),” he said.
Chaudhry was arrested along with his brother-in-law Jimmy Cortez Isetan, a Filipino; and Indian nationals Joshi Tarun and Pradeep Kumar Sharma.
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.