Immigration chief denies taking bribe from Chinese fugitive
Bureau of Immigration (BI) Chief Siegfred Mison on Wednesday denied receiving millions of bribe money in exchange for stopping the deportation of a Chinese fugitive wanted in his country for a $100-million case of embezzlement.
“Wala po akong kinalaman dyan (bribery issue). Hindi po nangyayari ‘yan under my watch … Ako naman, hangga’t maari, ginagawan ko ng paraan para mawala po talaga yung masasamang elemento at ‘yung practices sa ating bureau,” Mison told reporters at the sidelines of the First International Dialogue on Human Trafficking at Makati Shangri-la Hotel in Makati City organized by the Department of Justice (DOJ).
Mison said he was made to believe by two immigration associate commissioners that Wang Bo, a Chinese fugitive, should not be deported to China since the foreign national committed the crime here in Manila.
The two BI associate commissioners he was referring to were Associate Commissioners Abdullah Mangotara and Gilbert Repizo.
Mison said he would meet with Justice Secretary Leila de Lima on Thursday to discuss the bribery issue.
“I am welcome to any form of hearing or investigation dahil sa mga dokumento naman po na sinubmit ko kay Secretary of Justice Leila de Lima, doon magpapatunay kung paano talaga nangyari itong deportation case ni Mr. Wang Bo,” Mison said.
The 31-year-old Wang, who is wanted by Interpol and the Chinese government for allegedly embezzling $100 million, is supposed to be released from BI detention but De Lima stopped the order signed by immigration officials.
Wang has been detained at the BI jail in Taguig City since his arrest on Feb. 10 upon his arrival at the Ninoy Aquino International Airport from Malaysia. The Chinese Embassy sought the BI’s assistance in apprehending Wang, saying he was wanted for illegal gambling and that his passport had been cancelled. RC