Close  

Aquino told: Tell Canada to take back toxic trash

/ 04:27 AM May 05, 2015
RETURN TO SENDER  Protesters tell Canada to take back tons of garbage illegally shipped to a port in Manila from Canada two years ago.  NIÑO JESUS ORBETA

RETURN TO SENDER Protesters tell Canada to take back tons of garbage illegally shipped to a port in Manila from Canada two years ago. NIÑO JESUS ORBETA

MANILA, Philippines–Labor groups on Monday joined environmental organizations in asking President Aquino to tell the Canadian government to take back illegal trash shipped to Manila two years ago.

Aquino leaves for a state visit to Canada on Wednesday. He will take a side trip to the United States on May 7 to 9.

ADVERTISEMENT

Ban Toxics, Greenpeace, EcoWaste Coalition and Global Alliance for Incinerator Alternatives protested in front of Malacañang in Manila, the Department of Foreign Affairs in Pasay City, and the Canadian Embassy in Makati City to drum up interest in the issue in time for Aquino’s visit to Canada.

They urged the President to take up with Canadian Prime Minister Stephen Harper the return of containers full of trash that were illegally shipped to Manila two years ago.

FEATURED STORIES

“This is a rare opportunity for President Aquino to assert his authority as head of state and demand that Prime Minister Harper take back Canada’s waste,” said Angelica Carballo-Pago, spokesperson for Ban Toxics.

PH demand dropped

Environment Secretary Ramon Paje told the Inquirer last week that the government has dropped its demand that Canada take back “for the sake of our diplomatic relations” the 50 containers loaded with what authorities said were household waste and scrap plastic.

Four labor groups joined their voices to the calls from environmental and public health advocacy groups in asking the President to include the trash issue on his Canadian visit agenda.

The trash has been rotting at the Manila and Subic ports since June 2013 pending a decision in a case brought against the local counterpart of the Ontario-based exporter Chronic Inc. and negotiations between the Philippines and Canada.

The groups Sentro ng mga Nagkakaisa at Progresibong Manggagawa, Associated Labor Unions-Trade Union Congress of the Philippines, Bukluran ng Manggagawang Pilipino and Partido ng Manggagawa said the government’s decision to drop its demand for the return of the trash to Canada was tantamount to “an open invitation to garbage smugglers.”

Take trash back

ADVERTISEMENT

Since last year, EcoWaste Coalition, Ban Toxics, Green Convergence for Safe Food, Healthy Environment and Sustainable Economy, and Ang NARS party list have been holding rallies, asking the Canadian government to take back the trash.

EcoWaste coordinator Aileen Lucero said the garbage dumping was a “blatant case of environmental injustice” in light of an international treaty signed by the Philippines and Canada that seek to prevent developed nations from dumping trash in developing nations.

“This is one agreement that should be on Aquino’s priority list, a tangible indicator by which the success of his trip will be judged,” Lucero said.

In an earlier interview, Paje said the government was waiting for clearance from the Manila Regional Trial Court, after government prosecutors in February asked that the trash be disposed of in local landfills while the case continued.

Paje said the Bureau of Customs would dispose of the trash, and that the cost would be charged to the importer, Chronic Plastics.

He said the Canadian government would not shoulder the cost, nor would the exporter, adding that the government could go after the importer only.

‘Private matter’

The Canadian Embassy has refused to take back the garbage, saying the issue is a “private commercial matter” between a Canadian exporter and its Philippine importer-partner.

“The issue is as friendly countries, would you insist on hurting diplomatic relations if there is another way?” Paje said.

“They promised they would prevent a repeat. Canada will also look into their policies to avoid a repeat. They will go after their exporter,” he added.

On fears that the government’s handling of the issue could serve as a precedent, Paje said he believed the court case brought against the importer would discourage trash shipments.

“Isn’t that a major deterrent? How can we be a dumping ground when we’re vigilant. They were caught. Who else will have the courage to import if they will be caught?” he said.–With a report from Nathaniel R. Melican

Read Next
LATEST STORIES
MOST READ
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.
View comments

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: Ban Toxics, Benigno Aquino III, Canada visit, EcoWaste Coalition, environmental issues, Global Alliance for Incinerator Alternatives, Greenpeace, toxic trash
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.
newsinfo

Senate holds morning session to tackle 2020 budget

November 12, 2019 10:37 AM

newsinfo

Australia readies for ‘catastrophic’ bushfires

November 12, 2019 10:10 AM

newsinfo

Duterte visits wake of John Gokongwei Jr., Bong Tan 

November 12, 2019 10:03 AM



© Copyright 1997-2019 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.