Close  

Reports on abducted Filipino nurses in Libya false–DFA

By: - NewsLab Lead / @MSantosINQ
/ 02:04 PM March 17, 2015
In this Jan. 19, 2013, file photo, Algerian special police unit officers guard the entrance of a hospital located near the gas plant where hostages have been kidnapped by Islamic militants, in Ain Amenas. AP FILE PHOTO

In this Jan. 19, 2013, file photo, Algerian special police unit officers guard the entrance of a hospital located near the gas plant where hostages have been kidnapped by Islamic militants, in Ain Amenas. AP FILE PHOTO

MANILA, Philippines – The Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) on Tuesday said reports on Filipino nurses abducted by the Islamic State in Iraq and Syria (Isis) are false.

DFA Spokesman Charles Jose said in a press conference the four medical workers were taken to safety by a Libyan friend.

ADVERTISEMENT

The Philippine Embassy in Tripoli has confirmed the safety of the four nurses, Jose said.

CNN previously reported that members of Isis had attacked Ibn Sina Hospital in Sirte, Libya, and kidnapped 20 medical staff.

FEATURED STORIES

The report, quoting a hospital official, said around 30 gunmen had taken the hospital staff which were mostly from the Philippines, Ukraine, India and Serbia.

Read Next
LATEST STORIES
MOST READ
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.
View comments

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: Charles Jose, Department of Foreign Affairs, DFA, Ibn Sina Hospital, ISIS, Islamic State in Iraq and Syria, ofws, Overseas Filipino workers, Sirte
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.


© Copyright 1997-2019 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.