Filipino nurse from Saudi has deadly MERS-CoV—DOH
MANILA, Philippines — An overseas Filipino worker (OFW) from Saudi Arabia has tested positive for the deadly Middle East Respiratory Syndrome (MERS), the Department of Health (DOH) said Wednesday.
The DOH has confirmed that a 32-year old Filipina nurse was infected with MERS-Corona virus (MERS-COV) and was confined Tuesday at the Research Institute for Tropical Medicine (RITM) in Muntinlupa City.
The OFW had undergone three tests and tested positive for all the examinations done.
“Testing was done which yielded positive results. The patient is currently confined in a negative pressure room at RITM,” the DOH said in a statement.
The OFW arrived in the country on February 1 with his husband via a Saudi Airline flight 860.
The DOH said the two were now admitted at the RITM and are undergoing medication.
Meanwhile, President Benigno Aquino III has directed Acting Health Secretary Janette Garin to ensure that all necessary preventive measures are taken in connection with the reported case of MERS-CoV in the country.
“Contact tracing is being done to locate fellow passengers of the patient who traveled from Saudi Arabia to Manila last week,” Communications Secretary Herminio Coloma Jr. said in a statement.
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.