Two more Filipinos confirmed dead in Bering Sea tragedy | Global News
Close  

Two more Filipinos confirmed dead in Bering Sea tragedy

/ 05:10 AM December 12, 2014
South-Korea-Fishing-Ship-Sinks-1

Executives of Sajo Industries bow to families of the missing fishermen of the South Korean fishing boat Oryong 501, which sank in the western Bering Sea on Dec. 1, during a briefing session at the company’s branch office in Busan, South Korea, Wednesday, Dec. 3, 2014. AP/Yonhap, Kim Sun-ho

SAN FRANCISCO — Two more Filipino crewmen have been confirmed dead following the sinking of Korean vessel Oryong 96 off the Bering Sea in Russia, raising the total number of Filipino fatalities to five, the Department of Foreign Affairs said December 11.

Three bodies of Filipinos were recovered earlier this month. Three Filipinos survived the December 1 tragedy, while five more remain missing.

ADVERTISEMENT

Twenty-seven fatalities were reported: five Filipinos, 14 Indonesians, six Koreans and two unidentified nationals, while 26 remain missing, including five Filipinos, 16 Indonesians and five Koreans.

Only seven survived the sea tragedy – three Filipinos, three Indonesians and one Russian.

FEATURED STORIES

Foreign Affairs spokesman Charles Jose said the three survivors and the remains of the victims will be transported to Busan, South Korea.

Jose said Russian vessel Odin will leave for Busan on Dec. 12 and is expected to arrive there on Dec. 22. The ship will make short call fat Vladivostok to undergo necessary Russian government documentation.

Upon reaching Busan, Jose said the Filipinos will undergo medical exam and their statements will be obtained as part of a marine investigation procedure.

“Our embassy in Seoul will send a representative to Busan upon arrival to assist the survivors and attend to the expeditious repatriation of the deceased,” Jose said.

The principal shipping agency, he added, will be responsible for all the needs of the survivors, as well as the repatriation requirements of the remains of the deceased to the Philippines.

Search and retrieval operations, meanwhile, will continue in cooperation with the United States, Russia and South Korea, Jose said.

RELATED STORIES

ADVERTISEMENT

6 more bodies recovered near sunken Sokor ship

Korea ship sinks in Bering Sea; Filipino crew among those missing

Subscribe to our global nation newsletter

By providing an email address. I agree to the Terms of Use and acknowledge that I have read the Privacy Policy.
Read Next
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: Bering Sea, Korean ship sinking, Oryong 96, Philippine Department of Foreign Affairs, search for missing seamen Bering Sea
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.

Subscribe to our global news

By providing an email address. I agree to the Terms of Use and
acknowledge that I have read the Privacy Policy.



© Copyright 1997-2022 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.