outbrain
Close  

WHO: No complaint over vaccine

/ 07:32 AM November 29, 2014

MANILA, Philippines—The World Health Organization (WHO) has denied that it filed a complaint regarding the controversial purchase of pneumococcal conjugate vaccines (PCV) by the Department of Health, clarifying that it merely provided assessments based on the DOH’s request, the Inquirer learned on Friday.

“WHO did not file a complaint. WHO has provided assessments to the DOH in response to requests and these assessments are with the government,” according to the WHO statement released on Twitter dated Nov. 20.

ADVERTISEMENT

The WHO made the clarification to counter news reports that the organization was one of the agencies that filed a complaint with President Benigno Aquino III over the DOH’s purchase of the PCV 10 vaccine for its Expanded Program on Immunization, instead of the supposedly more cost-efficient PCV 13.

The WHO said the investigation of the case being conducted by the National Bureau Investigation “is a matter for the government of the Philippines. WHO Philippines does not comment on any government investigation.”

FEATURED STORIES

 

Pharmaceutical center

The NBI is investigating the alleged irregularities in the purchase of antipneumonia vaccines in 2012 that allegedly involved Health Secretary Enrique Ona and Assistant Secretary Eric Tayag.

Justice Secretary Leila de Lima earlier said the investigation stemmed from a complaint filed directly in the Office of the President by the National Center for Pharmaceutical Access and Management, the Formulatory Executive Council and the WHO over the purchase of the vaccine.

According to De Lima, the DOH had bought the PCV 10 vaccine contrary to the recommendation of the National Center for Pharmaceutical Access and Management, the Formulatory Executive Council and the WHO to purchase the PCV 13.

De Lima, citing the complaint, said the DOH bids and awards committee had already prepared for and cleared the procurement of PCV 13 and a certificate of provisional exemption was obtained for the vaccine as required by law.

“But all of a sudden, as alleged, the procurement of PCV 10 was instead ordered by Assistant Secretary Tayag. It also appears that Secretary Ona issued a certificate of exemption for [PCV 10] instead of the cost-effective PCV 13, that is why the relevant bodies complained.”

ADVERTISEMENT

De Lima said the NBI investigating team has encountered informants who were “hesitant to execute anything.”

She said she did not think Ona or Tayag had given statements to the NBI. But she said Ona or Tayag probably knew about the discreet investigation since the NBI team had gone to the DOH to ask for documents.

RELATED STORIES

Palace: Ona still health chief

Which vaccine is better?

DOH ‘uncooperative’ in vaccine probe, says De Lima

Read Next
EDITORS' PICK
MOST READ
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.
View comments

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: Enrique Ona, Eric Tayag, Expanded Program on Immunization, National Bureau Investigation, Ona, PCV 10 vaccine, PCV 13, Vaccine, WHO, World Health Organization
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.


© Copyright 1997-2020 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.