outbrain
Close  

Guard tightened vs MERS-CoV

By: - Reporter / @JeromeAningINQ
/ 08:37 AM May 18, 2014

Passengers walk past a thermal scanner at the medical quarantine area at the arrival section of Manila’s International Airport in Paranaque, south of Manila, Philippines. AP FILE PHOTO

MANILA, Philippines—Air travelers entering the country through its premiere gateway will be thoroughly screened for the dreaded Middle East Respiratory Syndrome-Coronavirus (MERS-CoV) through the combined efforts of the Manila International Airport Authority (MIAA) and the Department of Health (DOH).

The MIAA is the government agency that operates the Ninoy Aquino International Airport (Naia). Its medical division, in coordination with the Bureau of Quarantine under the DOH, has implemented “operational procedures” at the international gateway to prevent the entry of the MERS-CoV virus.

ADVERTISEMENT

Among the measures are the intensification of surveillance, use of thermal scanners, issuance of health checklists and alert notices to all arriving international passengers, and a mass information campaign about MERS-CoV.

The MIAA’s ambulance will be deployed, along with the bureau’s, to transport people suspected of having MERS-CoV to the Research Institute for Tropical Medicine in Muntinlupa City.

FEATURED STORIES

“All control measures are in place, personal protective equipment are available, and adequate medical personnel are positioned to ensure that airport stakeholders are safe and protected,” said MIAA public affairs chief Connie Bungag in a statement.

Bungag said that as part of infection control measures, only the DOH is authorized to release information about suspected MERS-CoV cases detected at the airport.

“Only the DOH has the sole authority to divulge information related to the illness, since data related to the subject are evolving every now and then,” Bungag said.

The Bureau of Quarantine, whose office is located near Naia Terminals 1 and 2, would be designated “a restricted area” as part of the measures, she added.

Health Secretary Enrique Ona earlier said that while the Philippines remained MERS-CoV-free, Filipinos, particularly those working in the Middle East where there are cases of the disease, must take precautions.

The Philippine Overseas Employment Administration last week called on employers and agents of Middle East-based overseas Filipino workers to give them free tests for MERS-CoV prior to their return to the Philippines.

RELATED STORIES

ADVERTISEMENT

 

Filipino envoys meet over MERS-CoV

 

MERS-CoV scare: Search for 174 passengers intensified

 

Gov’t assures public on MERS-CoV: Don’t panic

Read Next
EDITORS' PICK
MOST READ
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.
View comments

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: Air travelers, Department of Health, DOH, Enrique Ona, Health, Manila International Airport Authority, MERS-CoV, Miaa, Middle East respiratory syndrome coronavirus, NAIA, Ninoy Aquino International Airport, Philippine Overseas Employment Administration
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.


© Copyright 1997-2020 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.