Home » Cebu Daily News » Metro

Businessman, police asset nabbed for Banilad killing

First Posted 07:56:00 05/18/2011

  • Reprint this article
  • Send as an e-mail
  • Post a comment
  • Share

A businessman and a member of the Barangay Intelligence Network (BIN) were arrested in relation to the murder of a 38-year-old man in barangay Banilad, Cebu City.

Efren Navales, 45, and Mark Anthony Boyo, 28, were arrested by members by police shortly after Mario Bantasan, 32, was killed in sitio Bas past 11 p.m. last Monday.

Navales, former operation manager of One Stop Towing Services, and Boyo, a liaison officer of JPV emission testing center, denied involvement in the crime although they were in the area where Bantasan was killed.

Police said a friend of Navales living in sitio Bas sought help from him after unidentified men threw stones at his house.

Witnesses told police Navales arrived in the area on a motorcycle and confronted Bantasan?s group whom he suspected of throwing stones at the house of his friend.

Moments later, Boyo arrived and allegedly shot Bantasan.

Bantasan suffered a gunshot wound in the chest. He was rushed to the Gullas Memorial Hospital but died along the way.

Police said at least three minors identified Boyo as the one who shot Bantasan.

Navales and Boyo both denied the allegations.

Navales admitted that he introduced himself as a policeman when he confronted the group.

?Panghadlok rato ako pagpa-ila nakog pulis,? Navales said.

Navales said that while he was talking to the group, a motorcycle-riding man passed by but returned later and shot Bantasan.

Navales said he did not recognize the man since he wore a full-faced helmet and was behind him when the victim was shot.

Operatives of the Mabolo police precinct, Special Weapon and Tactics (SWAT) and Mobile Patrol Group (MPG) arrived and arrested Navales and Boyo.

A .9mm pistol was recovered from Boyo's possession.

Boyo was was able to present a license for his gun.

Police said the license's authenticity will be checked by the Firearms Explosives Security and Guards Supervisory Section.

An empty shell of a .45 pistol was recovered at the crime scene.

blog comments powered by Disqus

  • Print this article
  • Send as an e-mail
  • Most Read RSS
  • Share
© Copyright 2015 INQUIRER.net. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.