MANILA, Philippines—Fourteen foreigners who were about to be released from the Las Piñas City Jail after posting bail have been held by the Bureau of Immigration (BI) to keep them from leaving the country while their case is being heard by the courts.
Acting Immigration Commissioner Siegfred Mison yesterday said the nine Taiwanese and five Chinese nationals, who were arrested last month for alleged involvement in cybercrime, would remain behind bars at the BI Detention Center in Bicutan, Taguig City.
“If convicted, they will have to serve their sentences first before they are deported,” Mison said in a statement.
Lawyer Jose Carlitos Licas, BI acting intelligence chief, said the 14 were among the 35 Chinese and Taiwanese nationals arrested by the Philippine National Police Anti-Cybercrime Group in Manila, Las Piñas City and Imus, Cavite, on Aug. 6.
The suspects allegedly victimized “many rich people in China and Taiwan who were coerced into giving large sums of money after being blackmailed by the suspects,” Licas said.—Philip C. Tubeza