Quantcast

China set impossible conditions for Aquino visit—DFA

DFA spokesman Assistant Secretary Raul Hernandez. INQUIRER.net FILE PHOTO

MANILA, Philippines — President Benigno Aquino III canceled a trip to a Chinese trade fair after Beijing demanded that he first withdraw a legal complaint over disputed territories in the South China Sea, Filipino officials said Monday.

Chinese Foreign Minister Wang Yi and two other diplomats relayed conditions for Aquino to attend the annual China-Asean Expo, which opens Tuesday in the southern city of Nanning, Department of Foreign Affairs spokesman Raul Hernandez told a news conference.

Hernandez declined to detail the conditions, but said these were “absolutely inimical to our national interest.” The Chinese side asked that the conditions not be publicly disclosed, he said. They were discussed by Wang and Foreign Secretary Albert del Rosario in Beijing on Wednesday.

Because of the conditions, Aquino decided to call off his publicly announced trip to the trade fair, Hernandez said, adding the Philippines will instead send a delegation headed by its trade secretary.

“The president stood firm in the defense of the country’s national interest,” Hernandez said.

Two Philippine officials told The Associated Press that China wanted Manila to withdraw a U.N. arbitration case over disputed islands in the South China Sea. The officials spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to speak to reporters.

Chinese officials have also cited a new standoff between China and the Philippines over the Second Thomas Shoal, which is called Ayungin Shoal by Filipinos and Ren’ai Reef by the Chinese, the Philippine officials said.

China has asked Manila to remove a navy ship that ran aground on the shoal years ago, but the Philippine officials said the area was well within their territorial waters.

China was concerned that allowing Aquino to visit after the Philippines brought its territorial disputes to U.N. arbitration in January — which Beijing calls an “unfriendly act” — may not be welcomed by the Chinese public and media, the officials said.

Asked to comment Monday, Chinese Embassy spokesman Zhang Hua did not react to their statements, but urged the Philippines to work with China “to overcome difficulties and disturbances and make real efforts to get the China-Philippine relationship” back on track.

He said China welcomes Southeast Asian delegations, including from the Philippines, to the trade expo.

The Philippines is this year’s “country of honor” at the trade fair, which takes place in China every year to highlight trade exchanges between Beijing and the 10-member Association of Southeast Asian Nations.

The prime ministers of China allies Cambodia and Laos, along with those of Thailand and Vietnam have confirmed their attendance to the trade expo, which was first held in 2004 to promote the China- Asean free-trade area. Myanmar, another China ally, will send its vice president, Philippine officials said.

The Philippines and China have been embroiled in increasingly antagonistic territorial disputes.

Last year, China seized a shoal near the northwestern coast of the Philippines, and this year it demanded that the Philippine navy withdraw from Second Thomas Shoal farther south.

The Philippines incensed China in January by challenging Beijing’s massive territorial claims in the strategic South China Sea before a U.N. arbitration tribunal, which has convened to look into Manila’s complaint despite China’s stance to ignore the move.

China claims virtually the entire South China Sea and its island groups on historical grounds.

The Philippines, Vietnam, Brunei, Malaysia and Taiwan have rejected that, sparking fears the disputes might spark Asia’s next major armed conflict.

Related stories:

DFA reveals story behind Aquino’s cancellation of China trip

PH says China withdraws trade fair invitation for Aquino


Follow Us






Recent Stories:

Complete stories on our Digital Edition newsstand for tablets, netbooks and mobile phones; 14-issue free trial. About to step out? Get breaking alerts on your mobile.phone. Text ON INQ BREAKING to 4467, for Globe, Smart and Sun subscribers in the Philippines.

Short URL: http://globalnation.inquirer.net/?p=84751

  • lostRunes

    “On Aug. 23, … Chinese
    Foreign Ministry informed the Philippine Embassy in Beijing, .. that since there were no
    preliminary meetings on the President’s proposed trip to Nanning, China
    “can’t guarantee that it would be fruitful.” It advised that Trade
    Secretary Gregory Domingo head the Philippine delegation.

    On Aug. 28, the President announced that he was going on a one-day trip to Nanning.

    Ang linaw o. Di na invited ang Presidente nagpupumilit lang tapos iba iba na naman kuwento pinagsasabi niyo.

    Nakow, Malacanang Communications Group, ayusin niyo kasi ang script galing Malacanang! Hindi yung nag popost nalang kayo ng walang kuwentang comment o mang-iinsulto ng mga ibang nag co comment!

  • nennen12345

    Who cares if there is no delegation of the Philippines to china? Kudos to our Philippines President for standing firm against china’s aggression. This will show how rude china really is.

  • Bulakenyo Ako

    …and i thought we have the worst govt in the world. its pure blackmailing for the whole world to see. what a commie state. shame.

  • nakatutok

    kahit ano pa dahilan ng both sides..the TRUTH STANDS……HINDI SIYA INVITED..PERIOD……



Copyright © 2014, .
To subscribe to the Philippine Daily Inquirer newspaper in the Philippines, call +63 2 896-6000 for Metro Manila and Metro Cebu or email your subscription request here.
Factual errors? Contact the Philippine Daily Inquirer's day desk. Believe this article violates journalistic ethics? Contact the Inquirer's Reader's Advocate. Or write The Readers' Advocate:
c/o Philippine Daily Inquirer Chino Roces Avenue corner Yague and Mascardo Streets, Makati City, Metro Manila, Philippines Or fax nos. +63 2 8974793 to 94
Advertisement
Advertisement
Marketplace