Quantcast
Latest Stories

DFA exec flies to Saudi to assist undocumented Filipinos in ‘tent city’

By

DFA spokesman Assistant Secretary Raul Hernandez. INQUIRER.net FILE PHOTO

MANILA, Philippines—The Department of Foreign Affairs on Wednesday sent its top official on migrant workers affairs to meet with Saudi Arabia officials in a bid to expedite repatriation of more than 1,000 undocumented Filipinos still camped outside the Philippine Consulate in Jeddah.

The foreign office is also preparing to move the Filipinos into shelters inside the Jeddah consulate and other facilities within the city to provide them with better accommodations while processing their return home, DFA spokesperson Assistant Secretary Raul Hernandez said in a briefing Wednesday.

Hernandez said Foreign Undersecretary for Migrant Workers’ Affairs Jesus Yabes flew to Saudi Arabia on Wednesday and is set to meet with Saudi officials to discuss the situation outside the Philippine mission in Jeddah, where undocumented Filipinos have been camping out in tents for the last two weeks for fear of being arrested.

The Saudi government recently initiated a campaign against illegal workers, prompting undocumented Filipinos to seek shelter at the Jeddah Consulate.

“We have already sent Usec. Yabes to Saudi Arabia to see how we could expedite the repatriation,” said Hernandez.

He said the government was “very much committed” to bringing the Filipinos back home but admitted that the situation was “tricky and very challenging,” given the requirements of Saudi law.

Before they could be repatriated, the Filipino workers are required to first pay fines for expired residency permits, hence overstaying, settle fines for violating Saudi labor law, and secure a no-objection certificate (NOC), a document that an employer issues to a worker upon termination of his contract.

The NOC is required for exit and changing jobs and serves as as a clearance proving that an employee has no pending obligations with his employer.

The Philippines requested the Saudi government to waive exit visa requirements for the Filipinos earlier this week and the DFA is still awaiting the latter’s response, Hernandez said.

“This government is very much committed to helping our people. We have time and time again been doing that. Nobody should doubt that commitment. But there is a process we have to follow,” Hernandez told reporters.

“Even if we’re ready to give them an air ticket and to later on pay for their penalties as much as we can, what is very important is to be able to still follow the procedure and that means we have to get a no objection certificate, pay the fines, unless all these are waived,” said Hernandez.

For the meantime, the DFA is preparing facilities where the undocumented Filipinos could be moved while awaiting repatriation.

Some 300 women and children in the group are expected to be moved to a shelter inside the Jeddah consulate within the week, Hernandez said

The DFA is also looking at possibly using a housing compound offered by a Saudi businessman and a school gymnasium within the city as shelter for the Filipinos.

Hernandez said the consulate has also distributed food, water, medical assistance, mosquito nets, insect sprays and blankets to the Filipinos.


Follow Us


Follow us on Facebook Follow on Twitter Follow on Twitter


Recent Stories:

Complete stories on our Digital Edition newsstand for tablets, netbooks and mobile phones; 14-issue free trial. About to step out? Get breaking alerts on your mobile.phone. Text ON INQ BREAKING to 4467, for Globe, Smart and Sun subscribers in the Philippines.

Tags: Department of Foreign Affairs , DFA , Foreign affairs , Labor , migrant worker , Overseas Filipino workers , Raul Hernandez , repatriation , Saudi Arabia , Tent City

  • Pinoy Bodoh

    and hopefully this DFA exec has valid travel documents…hahahahaha

  • Hey_Dudes

    Our department of foreign affairs is starting to look like PNP (Philippine National Police). Try this for size. Every time a major crime is committed somewhere, expect generals or directors base in Manila flying to the place to do his own investigation? Same as what seem is happening with DFA. Each time OFW’s in the middle east find themselves in trouble, DFA officials base in Manila flies all over the place to oversee the situation? This in spite of our country having ambassadors and consular officers assigned to these countries specifically to do the same work these junketing officials want to do themselves? Are we really so screwed up people?



Copyright © 2014, .
To subscribe to the Philippine Daily Inquirer newspaper in the Philippines, call +63 2 896-6000 for Metro Manila and Metro Cebu or email your subscription request here.
Factual errors? Contact the Philippine Daily Inquirer's day desk. Believe this article violates journalistic ethics? Contact the Inquirer's Reader's Advocate. Or write The Readers' Advocate:
c/o Philippine Daily Inquirer Chino Roces Avenue corner Yague and Mascardo Streets, Makati City, Metro Manila, Philippines Or fax nos. +63 2 8974793 to 94
Advertisement
Advertisement

News

  • 22 houses destroyed, 3 hurt as violent wind storm hits village
  • 242 out of 438 pass board tests for chemical engineers
  • Reckless driver endangered lives of Aquino, entourage–report
  • 5 OFWs from Negros quarantined for MERS-CoV tests
  • Release of village chief’s truck caught carrying illegal logs slammed
  • Sports

  • Jackson finds second wind to push Meralco past Rain or Shine
  • NLEX fights off Derulo Accelero to remain unbeaten
  • Mayweather diehard Bieber eats pride, poses with Pacquiao for photo op
  • Power Pinays rip Singapore to enter quarters in Asian volley tilt
  • PBA D-League: Waves edge skidding Superchargers
  • Lifestyle

  • Miss America: Don’t suspend teen over prom invite
  • Transitions and resurrection in the performing arts
  • ‘Archaeology tour’ of Cebu’s heritage of faith
  • Historic Fort Bonifacio tunnel converted into a septic tank
  • ‘Imports’ from London, and play of the year
  • Entertainment

  • Arrest warrants out vs. Deniece Cornejo, Cedric Lee, et al over serious illegal detention
  • Lindsay Lohan says she had a miscarriage
  • Discovery network cancels Everest jump
  • ‘Captain America’ stays strong atop US box office
  • Easter musings
  • Business

  • Oil prices to go up on supply concerns, optimism on US rebound
  • Century Pacific Food sets IPO price at P13.75 per share
  • Oil prices down in quiet Asian trade
  • Asian shares mixed in holiday-thinned trade
  • BDO seen keen on bidding for Cocobank
  • Technology

  • PH has slowest internet in Southeast Asia
  • Nintendo’s trailblazing Game Boy marks 25th anniversary
  • Nasa’s moon-orbiting robot crashes down
  • Netizens pay respects to Gabriel Garcia Marquez
  • Nokia recalls 30,000 chargers for Lumia 2520 tablet
  • Opinion

  • Gigi’s home
  • Palace stonewalls on MRT inquiry
  • Couple of things too
  • There is plenty of water behind Wawa Dam
  • Triduum thoughts of a young boy
  • Global Nation

  • QC woman who flew in from Middle East tests negative for MERS-CoV
  • DFA, DOH urge OFWs not to panic over MERS-Cov
  • Balikatan could spoil peace talks, says militant group
  • DFA officers hold workshop on aiding human traffic victims
  • Canada in communication with PH on toxic wastes
  • Marketplace