Kidnapped Australian freed, says military

A+
A
A-

ZAMBOANGA CITY, Philippines—An Australian national, who was kidnapped by armed men in December 2012, was released by his abductors, the military said on Thursday.

Col. Gregorio Rodrigo, spokesperson of the Western Mindanao Command, on Thursday afternoon advised journalists to proceed to the Don Basilio Navarro Hospital to cover the arrival of kidnap victim Richard Warren Rodwell.

Rodwell was forcibly taken by armed men from his home in Ipil, Zamboanga Sibugay on December 5 last year.

Rodrigo, however, refused to give details of the release, only saying “journalists must be at the Wesmincom at 6 p.m.”

Earlier, Basilan Vice Gov. Al Rasheed Sakalahul told the Philippine Daily Inquirer of the possible release of Rodwell Thursday. Sakalahul was requested by the victim’s family to negotiate for the release.

Inquirer Viber

Disclaimer: The comments uploaded on this site do not necessarily represent or reflect the views of management and owner of INQUIRER.net. We reserve the right to exclude comments that we deem to be inconsistent with our editorial standards.

  • http://profile.yahoo.com/VS5EYSP4FPOTVQCJZ24NRE6Z2M Edgardo Mendoza

    kaya matakot ang mga investor wala talaga tularan ninyo malaysia baby kasi ang criminal sa pilipinas! dapat ipatupad na death peanalty mga pulis millitar puro bobo!

  • misuari playboy

    kiram has upset malaysia…. big mistake!

To subscribe to the Philippine Daily Inquirer newspaper in the Philippines, call +63 2 896-6000 for Metro Manila and Metro Cebu or email your subscription request here.

Factual errors? Contact the Philippine Daily Inquirer's day desk. Believe this article violates journalistic ethics? Contact the Inquirer's Reader's Advocate. Or write The Readers' Advocate:

c/o Philippine Daily Inquirer Chino Roces Avenue corner Yague and Mascardo Streets, Makati City,Metro Manila, Philippines Or fax nos. +63 2 8974793 to 94

editors' picks

advertisement

popular

advertisement

videos