Kidnapped Australian freed, says military
ZAMBOANGA CITY, Philippines—An Australian national, who was kidnapped by armed men in December 2012, was released by his abductors, the military said on Thursday.
Col. Gregorio Rodrigo, spokesperson of the Western Mindanao Command, on Thursday afternoon advised journalists to proceed to the Don Basilio Navarro Hospital to cover the arrival of kidnap victim Richard Warren Rodwell.
Rodwell was forcibly taken by armed men from his home in Ipil, Zamboanga Sibugay on December 5 last year.
Rodrigo, however, refused to give details of the release, only saying “journalists must be at the Wesmincom at 6 p.m.”
Earlier, Basilan Vice Gov. Al Rasheed Sakalahul told the Philippine Daily Inquirer of the possible release of Rodwell Thursday. Sakalahul was requested by the victim’s family to negotiate for the release.
Short URL: http://globalnation.inquirer.net/?p=69837