APEC 2015 APEC 2015 APEC 2015

1 more Sulu gunman killed in clash with Malaysian forces


06:13 PM March 21st, 2013

By: Allan Nawal, March 21st, 2013 06:13 PM

DAVAO CITY, Philippines—A Sulu gunman was killed and a Malaysian soldier was wounded in a clash between Malaysian security forces with remnants of Sultan Jamalul Kiram III’s so-called “royal army” in Tanjung Batu on Wednesday, Sabah Police Commissioner Hamza Taib reported Thursday.

Hamza told a Sabah-based radio station, monitored via shortwave radio here, that the soldier  sustained only minor injuries on the left wrist and was recuperating at a hospital.

He said that the body of the unidentified “terrorist” had been removed from the scene of the clash, along with the cadaver of another Sulu gunman, which was discovered earlier.

According to the radio station Malaysian Armed Forces Chief Gen. Zulkifeli Mohamad Zin, told a news conference in Felda Sabahat that the latest casualty on the “terrorist’s” side  brought to 63 the number of Sulu gunmen slain since Operasi Daulat (sovereignty) was launched on March 5.

Zulkifeli also announced the arrest of a woman, estimated to be in her 40s, following the Tanjung Batu clash.

“A total of 108 persons are now being detained under the Security Offenses and Special Measures Act (Sosma),” he said.

Hamza said so far, 30 bodies of slain Sulu gunmen have been recovered and 29 of them will be temporarily buried because of the failure of the Philippine government to claim them.

Disclaimer: Comments do not represent the views of INQUIRER.net. We reserve the right to exclude comments which are inconsistent with our editorial standards. FULL DISCLAIMER

For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.