Quantcast
Latest Stories
SABAH RADIOS REPORT:

Seven of eight Filipinos brought to Sabah court in straightjackets

By

DAVAO CITY, Philippines—Eight Filipinos, seven of them forced to wear straightjackets, remained silent and entered no plea when they were arraigned in a court in Sabah’s Tawau district  on charges of terrorism and rebellion in connection with the occupation last month of a village in Lahad Datu by followers of Sultan Jamalul Kiram III of Sulu, two Malaysian radio stations reported Thursday.

A private Sabah-based radio station as well was the state-run Radio 24 said none of the accused, aged between 17 and 66,  entered pleas when the charges were read in Bajau and Tausug by an interpreter before High Court Judge P. Ravinthran.

The private radio reported that no lawyer was present to assist the eight Filipinos during arraignment. The Bar Council of Malaysia said earlier it was interested in providing the accused its services.

“They were placed under tight security throughout the proceedings and seven of them were in straight jackets,” a reporter of the radio station said.

The terrorism and rebellion charges stemmed from the bloody aftermath of the “homecoming” of Kiram’s  so-called “royal army” in Sabah. The charges were initially filed in the  Magistrate’s Court in Labuan on Wednesday, where the accused were also arraigned. But the case was subsequently transferred to the High Court in Tawau,  reported Radio 24, which is operated by the state-run Berita Nasional Malaysia or Bernama. It did not say who ordered the transfer or why.

Sixty-two suspected Sulu gunmen and 10 Malaysian soldiers and policemen had been killed since March 5, when the Kuala Lumpur government decided to launch an assault on what it called a group of “terrorists,” led by Kiram’s younger brother, Agbimuddin Kiram.

The eight accused Filipinos were among 107 suspected Sulu gunmen or suspected local supporters of the Kirams who were arrested by Malaysian security forces in sweeps in the districts of Lahad Datu, Tawau, Kunak, Sandakan and Semporna.

Radio 24 confirmed that as in Wednesday’s arraignment, none of the accused entered any plea.

Radio 24 said Malaysian Attorney General Abdul Gani Patail led prosecution.

Like the Sabah-based radio station, Radio 24 said no lawyer assisted the accused during both proceedings.

Radio 24 reported the judge as ordering the attrorney general to determine whether defense lawyers will be “appointed by the Bar Council of Malaysia, the Philippine government or the accused themselves.”


Follow Us


Follow us on Facebook Follow on Twitter Follow on Twitter


Recent Stories:

Complete stories on our Digital Edition newsstand for tablets, netbooks and mobile phones; 14-issue free trial. About to step out? Get breaking alerts on your mobile.phone. Text ON INQ BREAKING to 4467, for Globe, Smart and Sun subscribers in the Philippines.

Tags: Diplomacy , Foreign affairs , Global Nation , International relations , Justice , Law , Malaysia , Philippines , Sabah , Sultanate of Sulu , Territory , terror

  • Hey_Dudes

    They should be thankful they are not being brought to court in shackles like those brought before USA courts.

  • talagalangha

    Shouldn’t it be Pnoy in a straightjacket, instead…? Funny, but now everytime I see him wearing a barong, I see him wearing a straightjacket…! Mas bagay, di ba?

    O mga baklang bayarang tagasagot ng mga critical comments dito, uulanin nyo na naman ako ng batikos sa email ko, don’t bother…alam ko namang iisa o dadalawang tao lang kayo….iba-ibang name, pero same language and thought patterns…buking!

    TRAYDOR ka Benigno Aquino III….just like your lolo BSA I, and your father BSAII
    and your mother Cory…you sold Sabah to the



Copyright © 2014, .
To subscribe to the Philippine Daily Inquirer newspaper in the Philippines, call +63 2 896-6000 for Metro Manila and Metro Cebu or email your subscription request here.
Factual errors? Contact the Philippine Daily Inquirer's day desk. Believe this article violates journalistic ethics? Contact the Inquirer's Reader's Advocate. Or write The Readers' Advocate:
c/o Philippine Daily Inquirer Chino Roces Avenue corner Yague and Mascardo Streets, Makati City, Metro Manila, Philippines Or fax nos. +63 2 8974793 to 94
Advertisement
Advertisement

News

  • $57-B mega plan to solve Metro’s mega woes
  • Aquino vows to step up fight against corruption
  • Santiago scoffs at rushing defense pact for Obama visit
  • Former solon, 2 others sanctioned for unfair labor practice
  • Let us pray for the nation, healing priest asks leaders
  • Sports

  • PH pug Hipolito Banal decisions Colombian in Aiba
  • Former Pacquiao sparmate Porter keeps IBF title
  • Grueling 2014 Le Tour de Filipinas hits road
  • ICTSI Tour big hitters have edge at Sherwood
  • What Manny Pacquiao and Floyd Mayweather could do
  • Lifestyle

  • Transitions and resurrection in the performing arts
  • ‘Archaeology tour’ of Cebu’s heritage of faith
  • Historic Fort Bonifacio tunnel converted into a septic tank
  • ‘Imports’ from London, and play of the year
  • Korean animation comes of age
  • Entertainment

  • Easter musings
  • Solenn in shorts
  • Unmerry mix of attention-calling moves on ‘Mini-Me’ TV tilts
  • Persistence pays off for The 1975
  • Special section in LA fest for Filipino films
  • Business

  • BDO seen keen on bidding for Cocobank
  • Bataan freeport investment pledges up 1,302%
  • Golden Week
  • Bourse to woo Cebu stock mart investors
  • Supper power
  • Technology

  • Nasa’s moon-orbiting robot crashes down
  • Netizens pay respects to Gabriel Garcia Marquez
  • Nokia recalls 30,000 chargers for Lumia 2520 tablet
  • Facebook rolls out ‘nearby friends’ feature
  • Netizens seethe over Aquino’s ‘sacrifice’ message
  • Opinion

  • Gigi’s home
  • Palace stonewalls on MRT inquiry
  • Couple of things too
  • There is plenty of water behind Wawa Dam
  • Triduum thoughts of a young boy
  • Global Nation

  • Search for Etihad passengers launched
  • Japan presents $57-B ‘dream plan’ to solve Metro congestion
  • Tim Tebow’s charity hospital in Davao seen to open in 7 months
  • OFW died of Mers-CoV in Saudi Arabia, says family
  • Aquino, Obama to tackle US pivot to Asia during state visit
  • Marketplace