Quantcast
Latest Stories

Sabah not yet under control; Malaysian troops search cemetery

By

DIGOS CITY—Despite official claims that the Sabah situation is now under control, Malaysian forces are apparently still worried about the activities of the members of the Sulu “royal army.”

A Sabah-based radio station reported on Friday that Malaysian policemen and soldiers had searched a cemetery in Semporna for a cache of firearms suspected to have been hidden there by the Sulu intruders.

The search started before dawn at the center of Halo village before the authorities moved to the cemetery, which lies near the areas of Panji and Bangau, the radio reported.

Semporna police’s deputy chief, Mohamad Firdaus Francis Abdullah, had told Malaysian journalists they received information that firearms were hidden in the cemetery.

But the police found no weapons at the cemetery and during a similar search in Simunul village, the radio said.

Aside from the raid, Malaysian security forces in Lahad Datu arrested a man on a motorcycle traveling outside a restricted zone and carrying bladed weapons.

The Malaysian police chief, Inspector General Ismail Omar, told the radio station that the middle-aged man was being investigated for possible links with the Sulu armed men.

“The place where he was nabbed is close to the operation area. We need to find out what were his motives,” Ismail said, adding the initial suspicion was the man was a “weapons supplier” and trying to deliver knives to the Sulu intruders.

In a news conference, Malaysian military chief Gen. Zulkifeli Mohamad Zin said the tight security in Sabah was to be expected as there was still a number of Sulu intruders who continued to threaten the safety of civilians.

He said security forces were also maintaining security cordons in Lahad Datu, Tawau, Semporna and Kunak as the mopping up operations continued to “prevent the group from slipping out.”


Follow Us


Follow us on Facebook Follow on Twitter Follow on Twitter


Recent Stories:

Complete stories on our Digital Edition newsstand for tablets, netbooks and mobile phones; 14-issue free trial. About to step out? Get breaking alerts on your mobile.phone. Text ON INQ BREAKING to 4467, for Globe, Smart and Sun subscribers in the Philippines.

Tags: Sabah Crisis , Sabah standoff , Semporna , Sulu Royal Army

  • valsore

    Of course not. There were 300 initially and only 90 were accounted for so far. The rest of the 300 will organize a guerilla warfare.

  • wqreytiuposa

    the initial suspicion was the man was a “weapons supplier” and trying to deliver knives to the Sulu intruders.

    knives vs. F18? lol

  • JosengSisiw1

    The Malaysian forces are kidding themselves saying it’s not yet under control. They will never be able to control the situation. After so many days they have reported 1/3 of the Kiram’s were killed and they are doing mopping up operation. Do they really understand mopping up operation? Mopping up operation is the final stage, it’s cleaning up of the remaining dirt. If you still have 2/3 of the dirt that’s not mopping up; we call it starting up.

    • Jun Canada

      Tama tol..
      Malaysian Army/Foolish e police pala akala nila paingayan lang ng jet at bomba ang guerra
      May namatay pa sa vehicular accident Ha Ha Ha..di sa bala

  • JasonBieber

    As far as PNoy is concerned this issue is done and over with. It has passed his 1-week for concern period. PNoy’s 1-week for concern period is he only acts caring for something for 1-week then after time has passed he forgets it.

    Look at the floods that affected over 2 million Filipinos last August 2012 or the typhoon ‘Pablo’ victims…after 1-week they were all forgotten by PNoy.



Copyright © 2014, .
To subscribe to the Philippine Daily Inquirer newspaper in the Philippines, call +63 2 896-6000 for Metro Manila and Metro Cebu or email your subscription request here.
Factual errors? Contact the Philippine Daily Inquirer's day desk. Believe this article violates journalistic ethics? Contact the Inquirer's Reader's Advocate. Or write The Readers' Advocate:
c/o Philippine Daily Inquirer Chino Roces Avenue corner Yague and Mascardo Streets, Makati City, Metro Manila, Philippines Or fax nos. +63 2 8974793 to 94
Advertisement
Advertisement

News

  • Obama, family cause a small stir at Easter service
  • Estrada: Gigi Reyes won’t testify vs JPE
  • Ancient enigmatic carvings in danger of disappearing
  • Tagle: Hope comes with warning on Easter
  • New plant to boost supply of clean energy
  • Sports

  • Goodbye MGM, Las Vegas for Pacquiao?
  • Rain or Shine drops Ginebra in big hole
  • Ateneo whips CSB; Davao debuts with win over FEU
  • PH pug Hipolito Banal decisions Colombian in Aiba
  • Former Pacquiao sparmate Porter keeps IBF title
  • Lifestyle

  • Transitions and resurrection in the performing arts
  • ‘Archaeology tour’ of Cebu’s heritage of faith
  • Historic Fort Bonifacio tunnel converted into a septic tank
  • ‘Imports’ from London, and play of the year
  • Korean animation comes of age
  • Entertainment

  • Easter musings
  • Solenn in shorts
  • Unmerry mix of attention-calling moves on ‘Mini-Me’ TV tilts
  • Persistence pays off for The 1975
  • Special section in LA fest for Filipino films
  • Business

  • BDO seen keen on bidding for Cocobank
  • Bataan freeport investment pledges up 1,302%
  • Golden Week
  • Bourse to woo Cebu stock mart investors
  • Supper power
  • Technology

  • Nasa’s moon-orbiting robot crashes down
  • Netizens pay respects to Gabriel Garcia Marquez
  • Nokia recalls 30,000 chargers for Lumia 2520 tablet
  • Facebook rolls out ‘nearby friends’ feature
  • Netizens seethe over Aquino’s ‘sacrifice’ message
  • Opinion

  • Gigi’s home
  • Palace stonewalls on MRT inquiry
  • Couple of things too
  • There is plenty of water behind Wawa Dam
  • Triduum thoughts of a young boy
  • Global Nation

  • Search for Etihad passengers launched
  • Japan presents $57-B ‘dream plan’ to solve Metro congestion
  • Tim Tebow’s charity hospital in Davao seen to open in 7 months
  • OFW died of Mers-CoV in Saudi Arabia, says family
  • Aquino, Obama to tackle US pivot to Asia during state visit
  • Marketplace