Quantcast
Latest Stories

Navy intercepts Kiram men fleeing Sabah

By

Filipino Sultan of Sulu Jamalul Kiram III

BONGAO, Tawi-Tawi, Philippines—A Philippine Navy patrol boat intercepted two boats bearing more than 30 members of the so-called “royal army” of Sultan Jamalul Kiram III of Sulu, some of whom were armed and wounded, as they entered Philippine waters from Sabah Wednesday morning, Western Mindanao Command chief Lt. Gen. Rey Ardo said.

He said the two boats carrying 32 Sulu gunmen, who were fleeing a hunt for them by Malaysian security forces in Sabah, were drifting at sea some seven nautical miles (12.96 kilometers) from Sabah when they were spotted by officers and men of Navy Patrol Ship 38 early Wednesday morning.

But in a report earlier by INQUIRER.net, Lieutenant Commander Gregory Fabic, a Navy spokesman, said 35 people were intercepted by patrol boats BRP Mariano Alvarez and Jose Andrada. The Navy boats intercepted the gunmen at about 6:30 a.m., west of Andulingan, he said.

“Our Navy was able to intercept them and there were four firearms, including a shotgun and M16 rifles, recovered from them,” Ardo told the Philippine Daily Inquirer.

He said one of the boats had 18 passengers, including an unidentified woman, and some of them were wounded. The other boat had 14 passengers.

Ardo said the arrival of armed followers of Kiram in Philippine waters indicated they were in panic as Malaysian state forces intensified the hunt for them in Sabah.

“They are obviously afraid (of Malaysian state forces) and they returned (to the Philippines) to evade arrest there,” Ardo said.

He said most of the intercepted Kiram followers were to be turned over to the police but those injured will be handed over to social welfare officials when they arrive here some time  “before midnight” Wednesday.

The interception of the Sulu gunmen took place as Sabah Police Commissioner Hamza Taib announced on Wednesday that Malaysia’s sea blockade around Sabah was so tight “no Sulu terrorists can escape it.”

Speaking over a Sabah-based shortwave radio, whose broadcast was monitored in Digos City in Davao del Sur, Hamza said Malaysian security forces were making sure that the remaining “terrorists,” led by Kiram’s younger brother Agbimuddin Kiram, will fall as Ops Daulat (sovereignty) was gearing for an end following the clearing of Tanduo in Lahad Datu.

Hamza said only small areas in the “red zones” of Tawau, Semporna and Lahad Datu were being combed for remnants of the Sulu “terrorists.”

But even then, he admitted that residents of Tanduo were still barred from returning home.

Hamza also admitted that Agbimuddin had indeed evaded the operation and was believed still in one of the red zones because he could not escape due to the tightened naval blockade around Sabah.

“We believe he is still in Kampung Tanjung Batu with some of his followers,” he said.

Since the launch of Ops Daulat nine days ago, 56 Sulu gunmen had reportedly been killed but only 44 bodies have been found so far. Of the bodies that were found, only 25 have been taken out of the battle zone because the others were too decomposed to be moved out, Hamza said.

Malaysian Prime Minister Najib Razak told a nationally-broadcast press conference on Wednesday that it was important for Malaysia to beef up its security for the benefit of the its people. The broadcast was also picked up by the Inquirer on shortwave radio in Digos

In addition to the naval blockade, some seven army battalions, backed by air and artillery assets, were now stationed on Sabah with hundreds of members of the Malaysian police.

“The Lahad Datu incident was a wake- up call for the country on the possible external dangers,” Najib said, adding that among the measures being taken these days was the setting up of a 1,400-kilometer special security area from Kudat to Tawau.

He said the intrusion into Sabah by Kiram’s followers showed that Malaysia’s security was vulnerable, but the government was now trying to prevent a recurrence.

Radio 24, a  station operated by state owned news agency  Berita Nasional Malaysia (Bernama), reported Malaysian police deputy chief Khalid Abu Bakar as telling journalists that the government was trying to determine what charges to slap on the Sulu gunmen and their suspected local supporters, who had been arrested in the course of Ops Daulat and the preceding Ops Sulu.

Earlier, Defense Minister Ahmad Zahid Hamidi said those arrested for direct participation in the invasion, numbering 100, will be charged under the Security Offenses (Special Measures) Act of 2012 (Sosma) and the national penal code. The 66 others, who violated restrictions on civilians inside the red zones, might have to be charged with misdemeanor only, he said, if investigation showed they were not actually part of the plot to invade Sabah.

The New Straits Times website reported on Wednesday that among those initially invited to shed light on his suspected role in the Sabah invasion was opposition politician Azmin Ali, deputy president of the Parti Keadilan Rakyat (People’s Justice Party) led by Anwar Ibrahim.

Azmin, Anwar, Jeffrey Kitingan and other opposition leaders were being linked to the Sabah invasion plot. With a report by Frances Mangosing

Orignally posted at 11:41 a.m.


Follow Us


Follow us on Facebook Follow on Twitter Follow on Twitter


Recent Stories:

Complete stories on our Digital Edition newsstand for tablets, netbooks and mobile phones; 14-issue free trial. About to step out? Get breaking alerts on your mobile.phone. Text ON INQ BREAKING to 4467, for Globe, Smart and Sun subscribers in the Philippines.

Tags: Features , Global Nation , Jamalul Kiram III , Royal Army , Sabah standoff

  • rick

    1 significant similarities that I found in this Sulu terrorist with terrorist in the rest of the world is.. they are all muslims

  • CyberPinoy

    He said most of the intercepted Kiram followers were to be turned over to the police.

    Its ok turnover to police but PH authorities should enshure that they will not fall into the hands of the Malaysians, kahit ano pa ginawa nyan kababayan natin yan dapat idetain lang confiscate armas then pakawalan later pag tapos na ang sabah crisis.

  • kokak

    Dati, ang tatapang, susugud sugod, laban hanggang maubos daw.
    Ngayon, atras doon atras dito, at tuliro habang namamangkang patakas sa laot.

    Sa totoo lang naaawa ako sa mga tauhan ni Kiram. Malamang napangakuan ng kung anu ano. Pinasugod ni Kiram sa kawalan sa Sabah habang sya ay nasa Taguig panay interview sa media at pinagyayabang na hindi susuko ang mga tauhan hanggang mamatay. Palagay ko may kaso rin dapat itong si Kiram eh.

    Dati claim nya para sa sultan ang Sabah, pero nung dinudurog na sila, hindi lang daw to claim ng Sulu kundi ng buong Pilipinas. Anak naman ng…. pati kaming nananahimik na pilipino isusubo rin ni Kiram sa basag ulo.

    Susugod sugod ng biglaan, ngayong natatalo na gusto samahan sila sa pinasok nila. Buti naman sana kung legal yung pamamaraan. Namugot pa ng mga pulis doon, dyoskopo… dapat sa mga ito pinagbababatukan.

  • http://www.facebook.com/simoun.magaalahas.10 Simoun Magaalahas

    Isa lang naman ang dapat sisihin kung bakit nabaon sa limot ang pinaglalaban nating Sabah, Ang mga traydor na Aquino, Ang tatay ni Abnoy na si Benigno Jr ang sumuporta sa Malaysia kapalit ang supporta na mawala sa pwesto si dating Presidente Marcos sa kanyang kapangyarihan. Noong namuno bilang Presidente si Corazon Aquino ay tuluyang nalimot ang Sabah dahil sa galit ng mga pilipino sa mga marcos dahil sa kanilang pangungurakot at pangaabuso sa ating bansa na sinabayan ng NPA at Muslim insurgency. Ngayon ang Programang Tuwid na Daan pero pikit ang mata ng Abnoy Aquino Administration ay pinagpapatuloy lang ang adhikain ng kanyang ama na hindi pag supporta sa pinaglalaban ng mga kiram tungkol sa Sabah, Bulag at nag bibingibingihan ang Abnoy Administration pag tungkol sa Sabah issue sana mga ating kababayan mamulat tayo at maging mapanuri sa mga nakaraang panahon para malaman ninyo ang tunay na situasyon hindi puro commento lang at sariling opinyon ang inyong nilalabas mamulat tayo sa katotohanan…

  • accapistrano

    Whatever happened to “die fighting for their rights”?

    What kind of people at this day and age would sacrifice the lives of others for their personal interests?

    Now who’s being worthless?

    Again, we are all people under one rule of law. We break the law or put it in our hands, we are punished.

    The true noble would face the consequences of his actions.

  • http://www.facebook.com/landak.kombura Landak Kombura

    Memfitnah saja kerja kau Frances Mogosing. Where’s your proof mengenai penglibatan pemimpin2 pembangkang????



Copyright © 2014, .
To subscribe to the Philippine Daily Inquirer newspaper in the Philippines, call +63 2 896-6000 for Metro Manila and Metro Cebu or email your subscription request here.
Factual errors? Contact the Philippine Daily Inquirer's day desk. Believe this article violates journalistic ethics? Contact the Inquirer's Reader's Advocate. Or write The Readers' Advocate:
c/o Philippine Daily Inquirer Chino Roces Avenue corner Yague and Mascardo Streets, Makati City, Metro Manila, Philippines Or fax nos. +63 2 8974793 to 94
Advertisement
Advertisement

News

  • No noise, partying in Boracay on Good Friday
  • More legal woes for Cedric Lee
  • NATO ups military presence amid Russian threat
  • DOH issues official statement on confirmed case of MERS-CoV
  • Aquino to stay at home during Lenten holidays
  • Sports

  • Tenacious Iran frustrates Qatar to retain Asian Club volleyball crown
  • Floyd Mayweather is ESPN’s top-paid athlete
  • Pistorius trial: Judge sets 2-week adjournment
  • China, Taiwan rout foes for 3rd, 5th places in Asian Club volleyball
  • Ginebra’s new import Freeman arrives, makes PBA return vs ROS
  • Lifestyle

  • Are your favorite malls open this Holy Week break?
  • Celebrate Easter Sunday at Buddha-Bar Manila
  • Moriones feast: A slow, steady transformation
  • Weaving ‘palaspas’ a tradition kept alive in Tayabas City
  • Finalists announced for best translated books
  • Entertainment

  • Filipino rock icons to hold silent concert
  • Mommy Dionisia Pacquiao’s greatest hits
  • Deniece Cornejo posts bail—report
  • Miley Cyrus hospitalized, cancels US concert
  • Otaku Summer Jam 2014: Summer’s hottest J-rock/Cosplay event
  • Business

  • Russian economy hit by Ukraine turmoil
  • PSEi firms up ahead of Lenten break
  • I-Remit teams up with Lakhoo for remittances from Oman
  • Megawide nets P1.4 B in 2013
  • Longer TRO sought on rate hike
  • Technology

  • Smart phone apps and sites perfect for the Holy Week
  • Tech company: Change passwords or suffer ‘Heartbleed’
  • Filling the digital talent gap
  • SSS to shut down website for Holy Week
  • Another reason to quit social media this Holy Week: your safety
  • Opinion

  • We may never know
  • Couple of things
  • Mommy D’s magic
  • Stop bizarre and bloody Good Friday rituals
  • Holy Week taboos
  • Global Nation

  • Netizens welcome Japan’s visa-free travel plan
  • Visa-free travel by Filipinos to Japan still a proposal
  • Visa-free travel to Japan could boost tourism
  • 2 PCG men ordered arrested over Balintang Channel shooting
  • US Embassy closed on Holy Thursday, Good Friday
  • Marketplace