Quantcast

PH to KL: Clear reports of abuses

A young residence stands inside an evacuation centre in Embara Budi where Malaysia launched an assault against armed Filipino gunmen in Tanduo village on March 8, 2013. AFP

MANILA, Philippines – Philippine officials have asked Malaysia to clarify news reports that Filipinos in Malaysia’s eastern Sabah state were being mistreated while authorities crack down on Filipino gunmen staking a claim on the resource-rich region.

The Department of Foreign Affairs on Sunday also reiterated a call for Malaysia to give Philippine diplomats full access to Filipinos who are being held outside the part of Sabah where Malaysian forces are battling followers of a sultan from the southern Philippines who revived a historical claim in the area.

About 200 Filipinos, dozens of them armed, barged into Sabah in Borneo around Feb. 9, sparking assaults by Malaysian troops after efforts to coax the intruders to leave peacefully were ignored. The gunmen fatally shot two police officers on March 1. At least 53 Filipino gunmen and eight Malaysian policemen have died in the conflict, according to Malaysian officials.

The Philippine government condemned the intrusion and called on the gunmen to surrender. But as the Sabah conflict drags on, it has tested the relations of the Southeast Asian countries.

Malaysia has previously brokered peace talks between Manila and a large Muslim rebel group, and the two countries are founding members of the Association of Southeast Asian Nations.

The Philippine Foreign Affairs Department said in a statement that it “views with grave concern” Philippine news reports alleging Filipinos have been rounded up in Lahad Datu, the coastal district where the gunmen are believed to be hiding, and other Sabah areas.

“The allegations are alarming and should be properly and immediately addressed by concerned authorities,” the statement said.

There was no immediate reaction from Malaysian officials.

But Malaysian police said 85 men and women, held without trial under a security law, were being investigated for their links to the gunmen.

Malaysian national police chief Ismail Omar said a teenager was shot dead Sunday during an ongoing operation to flush out the gunmen. Security personnel were questioning five people when they saw some movement in the bushes, prompting them to fire because they feared they were under attack, he said. They later found the body of the boy, aged between 12 and 15.

A man was also injured in the violence, Ismail said, adding that authorities were still trying to identify the two.

New York-based Human Rights Watch echoed a call by U.N. Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon to ensure the protection of civilians and for humanitarian access to help those affected by the violence.

Malaysia should provide accurate information on what has transpired and either charge or release dozens of suspects detained under a new security law, said Phil Robertson, Human Rights Watch’s Asia deputy-director.


Follow Us







Recent Stories:

Complete stories on our Digital Edition newsstand for tablets, netbooks and mobile phones; 14-issue free trial. About to step out? Get breaking alerts on your mobile.phone. Text ON INQ BREAKING to 4467, for Globe, Smart and Sun subscribers in the Philippines.

Short URL: http://globalnation.inquirer.net/?p=68309

  • http://profile.yahoo.com/VS5EYSP4FPOTVQCJZ24NRE6Z2M Edgardo Mendoza

    malayshits think they are super power genocide pilipinos!

  • Malaysian in Singapore

    Message to the invaders:

    When being invaded, a sovereign country must do all it can to protect its’ OWN CITIZENS. If you are indeed brave and heroic, stop blending in with the commoner Tausugs. Your cowardice is causing them their livelihood and endangering their lives! I dare you to wear your battle gears once again and to either surrender unconditionally or fight to your death, but stop using your innocent brethren as humans shields!!!

  • John John

    From another article here at the Inquirer,it is revealed that the lady Amira Taradji only contacted the Inquirer by phone only.If this is true can this be detrimental to her claims.

    why not step forward in a press conference or maybe the Inquirer can track her down & talk personally to her?As of now she is the only source of these ‘massacre’ allegations.
    This matter is too great an issue to go unverified for much longer.

    I’m saying this because I dont want anyone,Filipino or Mlaysian to do anything rash and regrettable because of these unverified allegations.



Copyright © 2014, .
To subscribe to the Philippine Daily Inquirer newspaper in the Philippines, call +63 2 896-6000 for Metro Manila and Metro Cebu or email your subscription request here.
Factual errors? Contact the Philippine Daily Inquirer's day desk. Believe this article violates journalistic ethics? Contact the Inquirer's Reader's Advocate. Or write The Readers' Advocate:
c/o Philippine Daily Inquirer Chino Roces Avenue corner Yague and Mascardo Streets, Makati City, Metro Manila, Philippines Or fax nos. +63 2 8974793 to 94
Advertisement
Advertisement
Marketplace