Anwar cites Inquirer offer to clear his name
KUALA LUMPUR—Malaysian opposition leader Anwar Ibrahim on Wednesday said that he had been offered by the Philippine Daily Inquirer an opportunity to clear his name over the alleged connection to the armed intrusion in Lahad Datu, Sabah.
“They (Inquirer) had contacted me this morning and offered me to speak to their editor for a live broadcast interview,” said the Malaysian opposition leader.
“They are willing to give me a platform to counter or disagree with regards to the allegations,” he told reporters here after the closing of the International Conference on the 13th General Election.
However, owing to his busy schedule, Anwar said he was unable to take up the offer immediately but would do so later.
He added that the offer would include a live interview of his clarification and publication by the daily.
He reiterated his denial over his alleged links to the armed intruders, blaming local mainstream media for spinning the issue.
Anwar also repeated his call for roundtable talks with the government leadership, including an emergency Parliament for leaders from both sides of the political divide to make a common stand on attacks against the nation’s sovereignty.
On Friday, the Inquirer ran a news article based on Philippine Army intelligence sources that stated that a Sabah politician allied with Anwar had met with the armed intruders.
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.