Quantcast
Latest Stories

Filipino in ambush of Malaysian cops beaten to death, says Sabah radio report

By

DIGOS CITY, Philippines–A middle-aged Filipino man, who was reportedly involved in the ambush of Malaysian police forces, in which five policemen including an officer was killed, was beaten to death by angry residents of a village in Semporna early Sunday, radio reports from Sabah monitored here said.

The radio stations, broadcasting on shortwave bands, said Semporna police chief Mohammad Firdaus Francis Abdullah had not commented on the incident that took place in Senalang Lama village around 7 a.m.

In a similar report, the Malaysian state media Bernama said its reporter in Semporna had seen the bloodied cadaver of the man, who had an M-16 rifle when beaten to death.

Bernama said the man remained unidentified but was thought to be in his 50s. Its reporter described the man as “big-sized and dressed in black.”

The radio reports quoted villagers as saying the man, suspected to be a follower of Sulu Sultan Jamalul Kiram III, descended from a nearby hill on Sunday and fired his gun into the air.

The villagers were reported to have said they overheard the man shouting that he was among those who ambushed the five policemen, who were sent to Semporna early Saturday to conduct ground assessment following reports that armed men were spotted there hours before.

The radio reports said the man even threatened villagers with harm unless they gathered in an open area.

“As the man was trying to light a cigarette, the angry villagers mobbed him,” the reports said.

They then hanged his body on a tree, the unidentified Bernama reporter, who happened to pass by the village on his way to a coverage in another village, some 30 kilometers from Senalang Lama, said.

As this developed, Malaysian police’s Inspector General Ismail Omar went on air to say he had no information on the reported capture of four Malaysian officials by the “Sulu intruders.”

Abraham Idjirani, a spokesperson for Jamalul Kiram III, was earlier quoted in reports by Manila-based media outfits that their followers in Siminul had taken four hostages, a police officer, two military officials and one government official.

Idjirani was also quoted as saying two more men and two children were killed in the same incident that claimed the lives of five policemen in Siminul late Saturday.

But Ismail said as of 6 p.m. Sunday, he had not received any verified report on the alleged hostage-taking incident and other claims by Idjirani.

“No such information (Tiada apa-apa maklumat),” he said in Bahasa.

In Kunak town, nearly 5,000 people had fled in the aftermath of the ambush-cum-clash in Siminul.

In contrast, life has returned to normal in Felda Sahabat 17 in Lahad Datu, the radio reports in Bahasa said, as Malaysian security forces pushed farther away the “Sulu intruders (“penceroboh”).

In another report, Bernama said shops had reopened on Saturday and people were flocking into them.

Ismail said the renewed confidence of Lahad Datu residents came after they were assured the situation was under control.

He confirmed the deployment of Malaysian soldiers to beef up the police’s capability.

Ismail repeated his appeal to Sabahans not to believe in unverified reports, saying only the police and the military were authorized to issue updates on the efforts to address the “intrusion.”

Bernama also quoted Malaysian Army commander Gen. Zulkifli Zainal Abidin as saying he and Ismail had been “mapping out operations.”

“We can handle this situation by enforcing tight security,” Zulkifli reportedly said when asked about Idjirani’s claim that “thousands of the Sultan’s followers” from Jolo, Basilan and Tawi-Tawi were heading to Sabah to help their embattled comrades.

Zulkifli had earlier said that members of the Sulu sultan’s “royal army” have shown combat experience “and their insurgency guerilla tactics are quite good, I would say.”

The Moro National Liberation Front had confirmed that some of its members had joined Agbimuddin Kiram for the Sabah “homecoming.”

The MNLF, had signed a peace pact with the Philippine government in 1996, after decades of rebellion, which saw many of its guerrillas become battle-tested men.

Zulkifli said the group had snipers and this fact was observed as early as Friday, during the taking of Felda Sahabat 17 by Malaysian security forces.

Although 12 of the “Sulu invaders” had been killed, two members of the elite Malaysian commando, VAT69, also died in the ambush-cum-clash.

“They made sure we will not be able to go in without casualties,” he said.


Follow Us


Follow us on Facebook Follow on Twitter Follow on Twitter


Recent Stories:

Complete stories on our Digital Edition newsstand for tablets, netbooks and mobile phones; 14-issue free trial. About to step out? Get breaking alerts on your mobile.phone. Text ON INQ BREAKING to 4467, for Globe, Smart and Sun subscribers in the Philippines.

Tags: Deportation , Foreign affairs , Global Nation , International relations , Malaysia , Overseas Filipinos , Philippines , Sabah standoff , Zamboanga

  • http://www.facebook.com/sang.garudada Sang Garudada

    talk is cheap…and that is all that u’ve got filipinos…just your filthy mouth and despicable lies…when going gets rough…all of you run like beetches…now it is clear that all that has been reported on the filipin side are nothing but bullsheet…die cockroaches 

  • DEADBORED

    Some Malaysians talk BS, some Filipinos talk BS. This is what the Chinese really wants. The ASEAN to be destroyed from within. All I can say is good luck to all of us, I should learn Mandarin now. lol

    Actually, before this Sabah issue,I’ve read from some Facebook comments that most of Borneans’ regret why they joined the Malaysian Federation instead of becoming independent like Indonesia.  According to them, the Malaysian government suck all their resources but gives back a little in return, that is the reason why provinces in the Borneo island are considered impoverished compared to cities in the Malaysian peninsula.  



Copyright © 2014, .
To subscribe to the Philippine Daily Inquirer newspaper in the Philippines, call +63 2 896-6000 for Metro Manila and Metro Cebu or email your subscription request here.
Factual errors? Contact the Philippine Daily Inquirer's day desk. Believe this article violates journalistic ethics? Contact the Inquirer's Reader's Advocate. Or write The Readers' Advocate:
c/o Philippine Daily Inquirer Chino Roces Avenue corner Yague and Mascardo Streets, Makati City, Metro Manila, Philippines Or fax nos. +63 2 8974793 to 94
Advertisement
Advertisement

News

  • Suspect in Vhong Navarro’s mauling wants to turn state witness – De Lima
  • Why are Americans obsessed with missing plane?
  • Napoles to have surgery on Tuesday – report
  • Mayor’s assassination linked to black sand mining controversy
  • Initial batch of Etihad passengers tested negative for MERS-CoV
  • Sports

  • PBA D-League: Waves edge skidding Superchargers
  • Ilad’s last-second basket lifts Gems over Bakers
  • Reigning champs Miami open playoffs with win
  • Spurs subdue Mavericks in playoff opener
  • Wawrinka beats Federer to win Monte Carlo Masters
  • Lifestyle

  • Miss America: Don’t suspend teen over prom invite
  • Transitions and resurrection in the performing arts
  • ‘Archaeology tour’ of Cebu’s heritage of faith
  • Historic Fort Bonifacio tunnel converted into a septic tank
  • ‘Imports’ from London, and play of the year
  • Entertainment

  • Arrest warrants out vs. Deniece Cornejo, Cedric Lee, et al over serious illegal detention
  • Lindsay Lohan says she had a miscarriage
  • Discovery network cancels Everest jump
  • ‘Captain America’ stays strong atop US box office
  • Easter musings
  • Business

  • Century Pacific Food sets IPO price at P13.75 per share
  • Oil prices down in quiet Asian trade
  • Asian shares mixed in holiday-thinned trade
  • BDO seen keen on bidding for Cocobank
  • Bataan freeport investment pledges up 1,302%
  • Technology

  • PH has slowest internet in Southeast Asia
  • Nintendo’s trailblazing Game Boy marks 25th anniversary
  • Nasa’s moon-orbiting robot crashes down
  • Netizens pay respects to Gabriel Garcia Marquez
  • Nokia recalls 30,000 chargers for Lumia 2520 tablet
  • Opinion

  • Gigi’s home
  • Palace stonewalls on MRT inquiry
  • Couple of things too
  • There is plenty of water behind Wawa Dam
  • Triduum thoughts of a young boy
  • Global Nation

  • Filipinos in Middle East urged not to panic amid MERS-CoV scare
  • Obama on mission to quiet Asia skeptics
  • Search for Etihad passengers launched
  • Japan presents $57-B ‘dream plan’ to solve Metro congestion
  • Tim Tebow’s charity hospital in Davao seen to open in 7 months
  • Marketplace