Quantcast
Latest Stories

Sulu ‘royal army’ demands to stay in Sabah


,

Malaysian policemen check a vehicle along the main road near Lahad Datu in eastern Sabah Thursday. Malaysian security forces in Borneo surrounded armed intruders believed to be from Mindanao and sought to persuade them to leave peacefully. AP/BERNAMA NEWS AGENCY

CENDERAWASIH, Lahad Datu, Sabah—The standoff continues between Malaysian authorities and an armed group of 100 Filipinos claiming to be members of the royal armed forces of the Sultanate of Sulu, authorities said.

The standoff with the armed men from Mindanao has sparked one of the biggest security scares in recent years in eastern Sabah state, which is less than an hour by speedboat from the southern Philippine provinces.

The armed group is forcing out villagers from Kampung Tanduao, demanding that they should not be expelled from Sabah, an area that the Philippines, on behalf of the heirs of the Sultanate of Sulu, has been trying to reclaim from Malaysia.

Home Minister Hishammuddin Hussein told reporters Thursday the gunmen had been cornered by security forces near the small coastal town of Lahad Datu.

The area was once controlled by the former Islamic sultanate of Sulu and has a history of incursions by armed Filipino Muslim groups.

He said security forces were in control and negotiating with the group, some of whom were armed with an assortment of weapons.

Malaysia’s national police chief Ismail Omar was quoted as saying the militants had declared themselves followers of “a descendant of the Sultan of Sulu.”

Ismail, quoted on the website of The Star newspaper, said the group demanded to be recognized as the “Royal Sulu Sultanate Army” and insisted that as subjects of the sultanate, they should be allowed to remain in Sabah.

“They have made known their demands while we have told them that they need to leave the country,” the police chief was quoted as saying, adding that negotiations with the group were still under way.

The demands were made during negotiations over the past 48 hours with emissaries who had asked the group to surrender and leave the area peacefully.

The Star said that the emissaries were given until noon Friday to resolve the standoff but the gunmen insisted they would only leave the village if their demands are met.

They had also purportedly raised the Philippines flag in the area.

People shop in a market in Lahad Datu in Sabah. Contributed photo by Orlando Maliwanag

According to local villagers, one group of gunmen had arrived in three boats mounted with machine guns and landed in Silabukan while another landed in Sungei Merah close to Kampung Tanduao last week.

Police were then notified about the presence of the gunmen.

Some villagers had also claimed that one group of about 30 gunmen armed with M16 rifles had entered Kampung Tanduao in Felda Sahabat 20 scheme and converged at the home of a man known as Ahmad Bom or Mat Bomb.

The villagers, who declined to give their names for fear of reprisal, said that most of the gunmen were in military fatigues while others were in robes when they entered Kampung Tanduao.

According to them, Ahmad was arrested by the police in the early 1990s for allegedly attempting to throw a fish bomb at the Felda office here after failing to settle a land dispute, thus earning him the nickname.

He was also accused of being involved in fish bombing but was never charged.

The villagers claimed that Ahmad’s son had gone to Bongoa in the nearby province of Tawi-Tawi in Mindanao recently to seek help from the armed men to claim back his family’s ancestral land within the Felda Sahabat scheme.

The Sulu sultanate, first founded in the 1400s, was once a regional power center, controlling islands in the Muslim southern Philippines and parts of Borneo including Sabah until its demise a century ago.

Much of the eastern part of Sabah is being claimed by the Philippines as part of the Sultanate of Sulu that was leased to the British North Borneo Company in 1878. Great Britain transferred Sabah to Malaysia in 1963, which according to the Sultanate of Sulu was a violation of the Sabah Lease of 1878.

Philippine Department of Foreign Affairs spokesman Raul Hernandez has said Manila was in touch with Malaysia over the case. With INQUIRER.net and Associated Press


Follow Us


Follow us on Facebook Follow on Twitter Follow on Twitter


Recent Stories:

Complete stories on our Digital Edition newsstand for tablets, netbooks and mobile phones; 14-issue free trial. About to step out? Get breaking alerts on your mobile.phone. Text ON INQ BREAKING to 4467, for Globe, Smart and Sun subscribers in the Philippines.

Tags: Filipino , Lahad Datu , Malaysia , Sabah , Sabah claim , Sultanate of Sulu

  • http://profile.yahoo.com/FWD5IDZT7SXOEHKLE3O7CGFOAE Bright

    why is Manila not claiming Sabah?!!

    • http://twitter.com/SisongJr Narciso Cabisong Jr

       Kc they dont feel the need of having this kc balewala lng sa kanila. Now that it was in the news that this piece of land earn 7BillionUSD for a rent of 73,000PHP people are trying to claim this now. No one ever exposed this information at all. Hay nako….. Sana each Filipinos will help the Muslims involved in this claim. We can help through donation that they are not the only one fighting for this land but the entire country….

  • http://twitter.com/jnsuing Jan Suing

    The fact that Malaysia is still paying rent money to the sultan goes to show that it recognizes the sultanates ownership over Sabah.

  • tea tinio

    legal ba lahat ng firearms ng mga yun? o kelangan idetain silang lahat?

    remember… firearms ban.

  • Matambaka

     Analyze this….

    1. First ther is MNLF that create violence in
    Mindanao. Since we have problem with Mindanao and busy solving it, we
    forget Sabah. When Ramos signed Peace Agreement with them… Its
    Finish..we can pursue our  Sabah claim…BUT Malaysia does not want
    this.

    2. When our Government is at Peace with MNLF, theres
    another break away rebel group, the MILF which is believe to be another 
    Malaysian PAWN  to make Philippine government busy and cannot claim
    Sabah.

    3. Again…Previously Penoy make a PEACE Deal with MILF.
    So, Mindanao is NOW at Peace with MNLF, and MILF so? Malaysia has no
    PAWN LEFT.

    Now, The MNLF Group, advance and pursue their claim to
    Sabah island. It seems that we are bringing problem to Malaysia (Sabah)
    and NOT in Mindanao anymore.Malaysia has no PAWN to MOVE since all
    (MILF,MNLF) is having a PEACE DEAL with Government.

    Malaysia is in PANIC Now. Feeling betrayed? CHECKMATE?

    Well, Malysia betrayed us long time ago when they support this arm group.Its their game being played to them.

    Hope a FAIR DEAL is made to the Sultan of SULU.
     

  • http://twitter.com/SisongJr Narciso Cabisong Jr

    Is there anyone now that organize some support monetarily to our fellow Filipino Muslim Fighting for this land? Sana meron kc I will help! this my way of helping this nation to recover what is rightfully ours( The Philippines). 

  • Shooting Star

    actually when these ppl arrived at kg tanduo the malaysia’s police trying to negotiate with them to prevent any bloodshed.. so, the ppl want 2 things: 1. recognize them as sultan sulu royal army 2. sent all the sulu ppl bck to philippines.. but we ignored it.. n now they want sabah lolz.. and again our goverment will ignored it…



To subscribe to the Philippine Daily Inquirer newspaper in the Philippines, call +63 2 896-6000 for Metro Manila and Metro Cebu or email your subscription request here.
Factual errors? Contact the Philippine Daily Inquirer's day desk. Believe this article violates journalistic ethics? Contact the Inquirer's Reader's Advocate. Or write The Readers' Advocate:
c/o Philippine Daily Inquirer Chino Roces Avenue corner Yague and Mascardo Streets, Makati City, Metro Manila, Philippines Or fax nos. +63 2 8974793 to 94
Advertisement
Advertisement

News

  • Scientists eye iceberg bigger than Guam
  • Drilon: I’m not on Napoles’ list
  • Sonar finds 1888 San Francisco shipwreck
  • Santiago: Enrile, Lacson, Reyes plotting massive psywar operation
  • Poe, Cayetano to colleagues: Shun formalities, let’s hear Napoles’ tell-all ASAP
  • Sports

  • Promoters Dela Hoya, Arum in talks for Pacquiao-Alvarez—report
  • Benzema guides Madrid to 1-0 win over Bayern
  • Suns’ Goran Dragic win NBA’s Most Improved Player award
  • Heat go up 2-0, hold off Bobcats 101-97
  • Ronaldo shakes off injury fears to play Bayern
  • Lifestyle

  • This woman ate what?
  • Photos explore dynamics of youths’ sexual identity
  • 12th Philippine Food Expo set at the World Trade Center
  • No tourist draw, Malang the croc will remain wild
  • The best flavors of summer in one bite, and more
  • Entertainment

  • What Garcia Marquez left behind
  • Has Ai Ai fallen deeply with ‘sireno?’
  • Sony developing live-action Barbie comedy
  • California court won’t review Jackson doctor case
  • Return of ‘Ibong Adarna’
  • Business

  • How ‘one percent’ economic elite was uncovered
  • Facebook profits triple as mobile soars
  • Insular Honors Sales Performers at Testimonial Rites
  • Apple increases stock buyback, will split stock
  • Cost-recovery provisions for affected gencos urged
  • Technology

  • Enrile in Masters of the Universe, Lord of the Rings?
  • Top Traits of Digital Marketers
  • No truth to viral no-visa ‘chronicles’
  • ‘Unlimited’ Internet promos not really limitless; lawmakers call for probe
  • Viber releases new design for iPhone, comes to Blackberry 10 for the first time
  • Opinion

  • Editorial cartoon, April 24, 2014
  • Talking to Janet
  • Respite
  • Bucket list
  • JPII in 1981: walking a tightrope
  • Global Nation

  • Embassy advisory: Filipinos still need visas to enter US
  • No travel restriction to Mideast, DFA clarifies
  • PH-HK relations repaired, but families of victims still being courted
  • Filipinos in Middle East urged to get clearance before returning
  • PH seeks ‘clearer assurance’ from US
  • Marketplace