Quantcast
Latest Stories

Tawi-Tawi gov says 2 kidnapped bird watchers moved by Abus to Sulu

By

lpp.gov.ph PHOTO

ZAMBOANGA CITY, Philippines — Tawi-Tawi Governor Sadikul Sahali said the cases of the two European bird watchers abducted in the province in February were no longer under the jurisdiction of the crisis management committee he heads.

Sahali told the INQUIRER by phone on Saturday that Ewold Horn, 52, and Lorenzo Vinciguerra, 47, had been transferred by the Abu Sayyaf to Sulu as early as March.

He said the information regarding the transfer of the captives to the other province was relayed to him by “my friends and contacts with the MNLF (Moro National Liberation Front) in Sulu, including personal friends of mine and friends from local government.”

Sahali said this was the main reason he could not provide updates regarding the abducted foreigners.

“I no longer handle the crisis,” he said.

Senior Superintendent Antonio Freyra, Sulu police chief, however, said there had been no evidence the foreigners were indeed transferred to Sulu. “The two Europeans are not here in Sulu, we have validated this information several times,” he said.

But Sahali said he believed his sources because there were also other indications the captives were no longer in Tawi-Tawi.

“There was no single communication established between the people I tapped to locate them and the people behind the abduction of the two foreigners,” he said.

Another indication, he said, was that officials from the Dutch and the Swiss embassies in Manila had stopped calling him.

“Here in Sulu, it would be difficult to hide the arrival of any non-resident, especially foreigners. But they are not here,” Freyra maintained.

He said the only kidnap incident they were dealing with now is the case of 62-year-old airport employee Carlos Tee, who was kidnapped on April 7.

Horn and Vinciguerra were kidnapped, along with Filipino bird watcher and guide Ivan Sarenas, while heading back to Bongao town after bird watching activities on Panglima Sugala town.

Sarenas was able to escape while two other Filipinos, the outrigger’s operator and a local official serving as their guide, were allowed to go home.


Follow Us


Follow us on Facebook Follow on Twitter Follow on Twitter


Recent Stories:

Complete stories on our Digital Edition newsstand for tablets, netbooks and mobile phones; 14-issue free trial. About to step out? Get breaking alerts on your mobile.phone. Text ON INQ BREAKING to 4467, for Globe, Smart and Sun subscribers in the Philippines.

Tags: Abu Sayyaf , Crime , Features , Foreign affairs , Foreigners , Kidnapping , Moro National Liberation Front , Regions , Senior Superintendent Antonio Freyra , Tawi-Tawi Governor Sadikul Sahali , terror

  • joeldcndcn

    as the governor of tawi tawi, what have mr sahali done to get the safety of those 2 foreigners, he had the total control of the province as a muslim Governor, “alibis” are only good to boys, BUT NOT TO THE MARINES, OK?



Copyright © 2014, .
To subscribe to the Philippine Daily Inquirer newspaper in the Philippines, call +63 2 896-6000 for Metro Manila and Metro Cebu or email your subscription request here.
Factual errors? Contact the Philippine Daily Inquirer's day desk. Believe this article violates journalistic ethics? Contact the Inquirer's Reader's Advocate. Or write The Readers' Advocate:
c/o Philippine Daily Inquirer Chino Roces Avenue corner Yague and Mascardo Streets, Makati City, Metro Manila, Philippines Or fax nos. +63 2 8974793 to 94
Advertisement
Advertisement

News

  • Anti-gay demo in Ethiopia cancelled
  • Obama launches measures to support solar energy in US
  • Nebraska toddler gets stuck inside claw machine
  • Philippine eagle rescued by Army turned over to DENR
  • Gunmen attack Iraq military base, kill 10 soldiers
  • Sports

  • Duke freshman declares for NBA draft
  • Vietnam says it will not host Asian Games
  • Nadal passes clay landmark with 300th victory
  • Wawrinka waltzes through with Monte Carlo walkover
  • Power Pinays smash India in Asian Women’s Club volleyball opener
  • Lifestyle

  • Ford Mustang turns 50 atop Empire State Building
  • Pro visual artists, lensmen to judge Pagcor’s photo contest
  • ‘Labahita a la bacalao’
  • This is not just a farm
  • Clams and garlic, softshell crab risotto–not your usual seafood fare for Holy Week
  • Entertainment

  • Cannes film festival launches race for 2014 Palme d’Or
  • Jones, Godard, Cronenberg in competition at Cannes
  • Will Arnett files for divorce from Amy Poehler
  • American rapper cuts own penis, jumps off building
  • Jay Z to bring Made in America music fest to LA
  • Business

  • Total says makes ‘very promising’ oil find off Ivory Coast
  • ‘Chinese Twitter’ firm Weibo to go public in US
  • World stocks subdued, Nikkei flat on profit taking
  • Asia stocks fail to match Wall Street gains
  • Fired Yahoo exec gets $58M for 15 months of work
  • Technology

  • Netizens seethe over Aquino’s ‘sacrifice’ message
  • Filipinos #PrayForSouthKorea
  • Taylor Swift tries video blogging, crashes into fan’s bridal shower
  • DOF: Tagaytay, QC best at handling funds
  • Smart phone apps and sites perfect for the Holy Week
  • Opinion

  • Editorial cartoon, April 17, 2014
  • A humbler Church
  • Deepest darkness
  • ‘Agnihotra’ for Earth’s health
  • It’s the Holy Week, time to think of others
  • Global Nation

  • Malaysia quarantines 64 villagers over MERS virus
  • DFA: 2 Filipinos survive Korean ferry disaster
  • PH asks airline passengers to check for MERS
  • Syria most dangerous country for journalists, PH 3rd—watchdog
  • Japan says visa-free entry still a plan
  • Marketplace