Binay heads to Saudi Arabia to discuss maid ban

SHARES:

07:01 PM March 29th, 2011

Recommended
March 29th, 2011 07:01 PM

MANILA, Philippines—Vice President Jejomar Binay is traveling to Saudi Arabia after authorities there effectively banned Filipinos from being hired as domestic helpers in a dispute over contracts.

Earlier this month, the Saudi government told Philippine officials to stop verifying whether the contracts of maids working in the kingdom conform with Philippine labor laws. The contracts of all Filipinos working overseas must conform with Philippine law, so the announcement effectively prevents Filipino maids from taking up new jobs in the kingdom.

Binay, who departed Manila on Tuesday, says he’s hopeful a compromise will be reached.

Saudi Arabia hosts some 1.8 million Filipino skilled laborers, nurses, maids and others.

Disclaimer: Comments do not represent the views of INQUIRER.net. We reserve the right to exclude comments which are inconsistent with our editorial standards. FULL DISCLAIMER
View Comments
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.
LATEST VIDEOS