Aquino didn’t snub Filipinos in US—Palace
MANILA, Philippines – Malacañang on Sunday denied accusations that President Benigno Aquino III deliberately snubbed a Filipino community in California during his trip to the United States last week.
“LA (Los Angeles) was not in the itinerary from the start,” Communications Secretary Herminio Coloma Jr. told INQUIRER.net.
Coloma was reacting to media reports that the Filipino-American community in Los Angeles was upset that Aquino did not take time to visit them despite dropping by a gun shop and a hamburger restaurant in San Francisco, also in California.
He said Aquino spent most of his short time in San Francisco meeting with business leaders.
“During the short period of time his plane was in San Francisco, the President met with leaders of two multinational companies on entertainment and banking who expressed interest in investing or expanding their current participation in the robust economy of our country,” Coloma explained.
The Filipino American Community of Los Angeles (Facla) told TFC’s “Balitang America” that they have long been trying to invite Aquino to their Facla Hall, which was one of the last places his father, the late Senator Benigno “Ninoy” Aquino Jr., visited before he was assassinated.
But Coloma said he was not aware of any plan for Aquino to visit Los Angeles.
“We ask for their understanding. The President’s itinerary was quite hectic: 94 events in 11 days in 7 cities across continents and time zones,” he explained.
Upon Aquino’s return to the Philippines after his 12-day visit to Europe and the United States, he said he was able to secure $2.3 billion in pledged investments. During his speech, he said the highlight of his trip was meeting Filipinos living and working abroad and telling them about the improvements at home.
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.