Filipina nurse hospitalized for MERS in Saudi
BACOLOD CITY, Philippines — A nurse from Negros Occidental suspected of having contracted the Middle East respiratory syndrome (MERS) remains quarantined in the intensive care unit of the King Fahd Medical City in Saudi Arabia, her husband said here Tuesday.
Meanwhile, an overseas Filipino worker and his two children have been released from the Corazon Locsin Montelibano Memorial Regional Hospital after testing negative for the Corona virus that causes the often deadly MERS. The three had voluntarily submitted to testing following the OFW’s arrival from Saudi Arabia last week.
The husband of the 44-year-old emergency room nurse at the King Fahd Medical City said he was informed by her co-worker from Negros Occidental on Tuesday that her condition was improving.
Two other nurses from Negros Occidental work in the same hospital as his wife, and they have been updating him on her condition, he said.
One of them informed him that more nurses at the hospital had been quarantined for possible MERS, he said.
Meanwhile, a Negrense OFW who had just returned from Saudi Arabia voluntarily had himself and his two sons subjected to tests for MERS and were quarantined last week, said Dr. Julius Drilon, chief of the Corazon Locsin Montelibano Memorial Regional Hospital here.
The OFW, whose name was withheld, subjected himself and his children to nose-and-throat swab tests for the deadly virus after his sons developed fever and colds two days after he returned to the country, Dr. Marlon Tabligan said.