Police beef up security in Metro
MANILA, Philippines—The Philippine National Police beefed up the security in Metro Manila on Saturday after four embassies issued separate security alerts, warning their citizens in the country of a possible attack in the capital.
Chief Superintendent Generoso Cerbo Jr., PNP spokesperson, said the police have increased police visibility in the National Capital Region, especially in Pasay City, which the US Embassy alert specifically mentioned.
“We’ve beefed up the security in Metro Manila and our units have gone on alert. We have also increased police visibility,” Cerbo said.
“We have enhanced our precautions and strengthen our security preparations,” he added.
On the other hand, Cerbo maintained that the police have yet to monitor a specific security threat in Metro Manila.
“Our units are coordinating with the US Embassy but we have yet to receive feedback,” he said.
The US Embassy on Friday afternoon advised American citizens in the country that a threat against American citizens in Metro Manila, “specifically the Pasay City neighborhood,” had been detected “by reliable security forces.”
“This threat remains in effect until October 10, 2012,” the embassy said.
It added that US Ambassador Harry Thomas Jr. also ordered increased security in all U.S. government facilities in Manila.
On Satruday, the British, Canadian and Australian governments also called on their citizens to be cautious amid fears they could get caught up in an attempted attack against Americans.
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.