
The fire had broken out at a petrol station in Putra Heights. PHOTOS: SCREENGRAB FROM FACEBOOK VIDEOS via The Straits Times/Asia News Network
KUALA LUMPUR — A massive fire forced people from their homes during Eid celebrations as it towered over residential districts Tuesday near the Malaysian capital Kuala Lumpur.
Seven residents had to be rescued after several homes caught fire, although no casualties have been reported, Selangor state fire officials said in a statement.
The inferno, which was visible kilometers away, was caused by “a gas pipeline leak stretching approximately 500 meters (1,600 feet)”, according to the statement.
READ: Oil tankers catch fire near Singapore and Malaysia
The valve to the affected pipeline belonging to Malaysia’s state-run oil firm Petronas has been shut off, the statement said.
Residents enjoying a public holiday for Eid celebrations in Muslim-majority Malaysia had to flee the area.
“All of a sudden, we heard a loud bang and then total chaos,” a resident living 200 meters (650 feet) away from the fire was qutoted as saying by the The Star newspaper.
“We immediately left the house and soon saw other residents leaving too.”
READ: Fire hits yacht that belonged to French tycoon off Malaysia
Images and videos of the fire have appeared online, with many claiming that it was spotted somewhere near Subang and Puchong.
Community news platform SJ Echo posted a video of the fire earlier on April 1.
The huge fire can be seen from kilometers away, with images and videos of it being shared widely on social media.
Subang Jaya MP Wong Chen confirmed in a statement that the fire had broken out at a petrol station in Putra Heights.
“All citizens are advised to be on full alert. We will provide more Bomba (Fire and Rescue Department) updates when received. Bomba helicopter is also on the way.”
First posted 12:55 pm