PH embassies urged to account for Pinoys in quake-hit Myanmar, Thailand

People stand near the damaged construction site of a high-rise building in Bangkok, Thailand, on Saturday, March 29, 2025, as rescuers search for victims following its collapse after Friday’s earthquake. (AP Photo/Sakchai Lalit)
MANILA, Philippines — Senate President Francis “Chiz” Escudero appealed on Monday to the Philippine missions to account for all Filipinos in earthquake-hit Myanmar and Thailand and ensure that all possible help is extended to them.
In a statement, Escudero said the Philippine embassies in Yangon and Bangkok should ensure that Filipinos in their respective areas are being provided with whatever assistance they need.
READ: LIVE UPDATES: Magnitude 7.7 Myanmar-Thailand earthquake
“We still have Filipinos unaccounted for up to now and as such, we should exert greater efforts to locate them at the soonest possible time. Once the dust has settled and the rescue operations have concluded, we must have a full accounting of the Filipinos who may have been affected by the earthquake and extend every possible assistance as necessary, including psychosocial support for the survivors,” he said.
A powerful 7.7 magnitude earthquake rocked central Myanmar on Friday, damaging buildings and forcing people to flee into the streets in neighboring Thailand.
READ: Intensify search for missing Filipinos in Myanmar quake – Gatchalian
READ: Smell of death permeates quake-devastated Myanmar
Following the incident and after witnessing the impact of a strong earthquake, Escudero said “a fresh inspection of our public and private structures” is needed to ensure the integrity of buildings and bridges in the Philippines.
“We must see to it that regular inspections are conducted on public infrastructure and on the structures constructed by the private sector, particularly the office and residential buildings that have sprouted over the past decades,” he said.
The Myanmar government earlier said that 1,002 people have now been found dead and another 2,376 injured, with 30 others missing.
Meanwhile, eight deaths have been confirmed so far in Thailand, with more expected.