More than 35 dead, dozens injured in Kuwait building fire

More than 35 dead, dozens injured in Kuwait building fire

/ 05:59 PM June 12, 2024

More than 35 dead, dozens injured in Kuwait building fire

KUWAIT CITY — More than 35 people were killed and dozens injured in a building fire in an area heavily populated with foreign workers in Kuwait, the interior ministry said on Wednesday.

Forty-three people were injured, the health ministry said, after the blaze broke out in a residential building south of Kuwait City at dawn.

ADVERTISEMENT

“Unfortunately, we received a report of a fire at… exactly 6:00 am (0300 GMT) in the Mangaf area,” Major General Eid Al-Owaihan, director of the interior ministry’s General Department of Criminal Evidence, said during a visit to the site.

FEATURED STORIES

READ: Kuwait, where OFW abuse is routine, targets Filipino visas as PH gov’t flip flops on deployment ban

“As for the deaths in the building behind me, the number has exceeded 35 so far.”

Forensic teams have identified three of the bodies, Owaihan added.

READ: Tulfo: Kuwait deployment ban stays until damages on Ranara case are paid

According to a source in the General Fire Department, the victims suffocated from rising smoke after the fire broke out on the ground floor.

The building’s owner has been detained in an investigation into potential negligence, the Interior Minister Sheikh Fahd Al-Yousef said as he too visited the scene.

Your subscription could not be saved. Please try again.
Your subscription has been successful.

Subscribe to our daily newsletter

By providing an email address. I agree to the Terms of Use and acknowledge that I have read the Privacy Policy.

TAGS: Fire, Kuwait

© Copyright 1997-2024 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.