Tolentino meets with PH envoy to China, DFA chief Manalo on WPS issues | Global News

Tolentino meets with PH envoy to China, DFA chief Manalo on WPS issues

/ 05:53 AM December 06, 2023

TOLENTINO DELIVERS FIRST PRIVILEGE SPEECH: Delivering the first privilege speech for the 18th Congress on Monday, July 29, 2019, former chairman of the Metropolitan Manila Development Authority and neophyte Senator Francis Tolentino yesterday said, referring to the West Philippine Sea, that “President Rodrigo Duterte has the power to enter into legally binding international verbal agreements,” (PRIB Photo)

Senator Francis Tolentino. (File photo from the Senate Public Relations and Information Bureau )

MANILA, Philippines – Sen. Francis Tolentino confirmed on Tuesday that he had met with Philippine Ambassador to China Jaime FlorCruz and Foreign Affairs Secretary Enrique Manalo on Tuesday on the issue of the recent swarming of Chinese militia vessels in the Julian Felipe Reef in the West Philippine Sea.

In an ambush interview with reporters, Tolentino said they also discussed the scheduled Dec. 11 Christmas convoy of civilian ships to the BRP Sierra Madre at Ayungin Shoal.

ADVERTISEMENT

“If you remember, we issued a statement to recall recall the Philippine ambassador to China, around two weeks ago. So when he [FlorCruz] cane, it was not a recall, but somewhat like a consultation with the Department of Foreign Affairs. He went with Secretary Manalo. But didn’t finish our talk because of the earthquake,” Tolentino said, speaking partly in Filipino.

FEATURED STORIES

He was referring to a magnitude 5.9 earthquake that hit Occidental Mindoro and shook parts of Luzon on Tuesday afternoon.

READ: NSC thumbs down civilian Christmas convoy to Ayungin Shoal

READ: PCG sees more Chinese vessels in Ayungin during ‘Atin Ito’ advocates convoy 

Tolentino revealed, however, that he asked FlorCruz what he had been hearing regarding the plans set to be acted upon by Beijing in time for the Christmas convoy in the West Philippine Sea.

Tolentino said he was worried about what China could do during this mission.

“I said they should prepare for December 11. Our problems could increase,” he said

ADVERTISEMENT

“They might do something else. Because they have already done everything else — the laser beam, [water] cannoning — these are civilians with small boats. They shouldn’t do that.”

Tolentino said he was hoping to set another meeting with FlorCruz, considering that their discussions were interrupted by the quake.

Your subscription could not be saved. Please try again.
Your subscription has been successful.

Subscribe to our daily newsletter

By providing an email address. I agree to the Terms of Use and acknowledge that I have read the Privacy Policy.

TAGS: China incursions, Enrique Manalo, Francis Tolentino, Jaime FlorCruz, maritime dispute, PH-China Relations, West Philippine Se

© Copyright 1997-2024 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.