Help get China out of WPS, Zubiri tells Filipino-Chinese biz group
MANILA, Philippines — How about condemning China’s attack against Filipino troops first?
Senate President Juan Miguel Zubiri posed this question to the Federation of Filipino-Chinese Chambers of Commerce and Industry Inc. (FFCCCII) after it reportedly warned against his suggestion to boycott Chinese firms and products.
“If the Chamber is worried about the economic impact a boycott would bring, then they should help convince their benefactors and Chinese state owned contacts to get out of Philippine territory in the West Philippine Sea,” Zubiri said in a statement to reporters on Thursday.
“May we hear a condemnation from them please on the water cannoning of our troops and personnel that happened last week?” he asked.
On August 5, the China Coast Guard fired water cannons at Philippine vessels delivering supplies to Filipino troops stationed at Ayungin Shoal.
This drew strong condemnation from the Philippines and allies, including the United States.
As a sign of protest, Zubiri then urged Filipinos to just boycott all companies and products from China.
FFCCCII President Cecilio Pedro, however, said the boycott would be bad for both countries.
China, for instance, may also stop buying raw materials and fruits from the Philippines, Pedro was quoted as saying in a news report.
The FFCCCII stressed that China is one of Manila’s biggest partners.