Bongbong Marcos condoles with kin of Filipinos killed in Indian Ocean tragedy
MANILA, Philippines — President Ferdinand Marcos Jr. on Friday conveyed his condolences to the families of Filipinos who died from a mishap in the Indian Ocean last week.
Marcos said the government is ready to help the families of the five Filipino seafarers among the 39 crew members who died after the Chinese vessel capsized in the sea.
“Nakikiramay tayo sa mga pamilya ng mga kababayan nating nasawi sa tumaob na fishing vessel sa Indian Ocean noong ika-16 ng Mayo,” he said in a Twitter post.
(Our condolences to the families of our fellow countrymen who lost their lives in the overturned fishing vessel in the Indian Ocean on May 16.)
“Nakaantabay ang ating pamahalaan para sila’y alalayan,” Marcos added.
(Our government is standing by to support them.)
The President also thanked the Australian and Chinese search and rescue teams for “conducting extensive operations [despite] the unforgiving weather.”
Nakikiramay tayo sa mga pamilya ng mga kababayan nating nasawi sa tumaob na fishing vessel sa Indian Ocean noong ika-16 ng Mayo.ADVERTISEMENT
Nakaantabay ang ating pamahalaan para sila’y alalayan.
We also extend our gratitude to the Australian and Chinese search and rescue teams for…
— Bongbong Marcos (@bongbongmarcos) May 26, 2023ADVERTISEMENT
The Philippine Coast Guard (PCG) said five Filipino seafarers were among the 39 crew members who died after a Chinese fishing vessel owned by Penglai Jinglu Fishery Co., capsized at 3 a.m. on May 16.
READ: Filipinos missing in Indian Ocean presumed dead
The PCG earlier said it was coordinating with the Department of Foreign Affairs regarding assistance for the bereaved families.
Filipino seafarer missing at sea from ship bound for Canada
5 Filipino seafarers missing off Falkland Islands — DFA
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.