69 Filipinos evacuate from strife-torn Sudan
MANILA, Philippines — At least 69 Filipinos have evacuated from Sudan as widespread violence rages on, the Department of Foreign Affairs said on Tuesday.
Foreign Undersecretary for Migrant Workers Affairs Eduardo de Vega said the Philippine government has started transporting the first batch of Filipinos to travel by land to Egypt.
“The first batch of 50 is actually on the road as we speak,” he told INQUIRER.net in a message.
De Vega said there were three Filipino women who were “repatriated a few days ago.”
They were Saudia Airlines employees who traveled by water through the Port of Sudan to Jeddah in Saudi Arabia via a military vessel.
“Aside from the 50 Filipinos yesterday and the three Filipinas who were brought to Saudi Arabia, we know of at least 16 other Filipinos who left on their own the other day with their employers providing transport,” de Vega said.
He also took note that around 725 Filipinos are now registered in the Philippine Embassy in Cairo, which has jurisdiction over Sudan.
At least 327 of them have sought assistance for repatriation.
De Vega earlier said, however, that only around 156 Filipinos are “ready to leave at a moment’s notice.”
Some foreign nationals began to evacuate battle-torn Sudan on Sunday as air strikes and gunfire continuously rocked the skies of Khartoum.
The Philippine Embassy in Cairo has reminded Filipinos seeking government-coordinated evacuation from Sudan’s capital to wait for its advice on the availability of transportation means.
For those who will leave on their own or with the assistance of their employers to the northern city of Wadi Halfa, which is the border of Sudan and Egypt, the embassy should be informed in advance by message or email so it can facilitate their entry to Egypt.
“Find out whether the final destination of your bus is Wadi Halfa or Aswan. It is always better if your transportation will take you all the way to Aswan,” the embassy said.
It also reminded Filipinos to inform the embassy if they will choose to evacuate through the Port of Sudan.
Filipinos may reach out to the Philippine Embassy in Cairo via the following communication channels:
- WhatsApp or Mobile – (+20) 1227436472
- Facebook or Messenger – www.facebook.com/PHinEgypt
- Email – firstname.lastname@example.org
The World Health Organization had reported at least 413 people killed and 3,551 others injured since deadly clashes broke out in Sudan more than a week ago due to a power struggle between troops and paramilitary forces.
No Filipino casualties had so far been reported but the DFA earlier confirmed that one Filipino was grazed by a bullet amid raging skirmishes in the country.