24 Filipinos back home from earthquake-ravaged Turkey
MANILA, Philippines— Twenty-four more Filipinos from quake-hit Turkey have been repatriated to Manila, the Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) said on Thursday.
DFA Undersecretary Eduardo Jose de Vega said the repatriated individuals arrived safely Wednesday night and a number o them have travelled back to their home provinces.
“Nasa mabuting kalagayan sila, 24 sila. The 24 are consisting of 10 mothers with 14 children,” De Vega said in an interview.
(They are all fine, 24 of them, 10 mothers and 14 children.)
A Turkish husband of one of the repatriated Filipinos also travelled with them, De Vega added.
The DFA have so far repatriated a total of 49 Filipinos from Turkey.
Another batch of 20 Filipinos are due to arrive by the end of the month, De Vega said.
“Right now meron pang 78 na natitira sa shelter natin. May isang shelter para sa mga Overseas Filipino Workers (OFWs) na ni-rescue natin o lumikas galing sa kanilang mga earthquake affected areas. Hindi lahat gusto umuwi, pero magkakaroon ng third batch for sure, siguro mga 20,” he said.
(There are still 78 Filipinos at the DFA shelter. There is a shelter for our OFWs who we rescued or are seeking refuge from earthquake affected areas. Not all of them are willing to return home, but there will be a third batch for sure, maybe around 20 of them will go home.)
The DFA official said that in his talks with Turkish ministers, he was assured that Filipinos who are Turkish citizens will receive financial assistance from the Turkish government in accordance with President Recep Tayyip Erdogan’s promise. (MJ Soriano, INQUIRER.net trainee)
Major earthquake hits Turkey, Syria; over 1,400 dead, thousands injured
Remains of OFW fatality in Turkey’s earthquake to arrive Wednesday
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.