PH contingent team sent in quake-hit Turkey to wrap up ops on Feb. 24
MANILA, Philippines — The Philippine rescue and medical team deployed in earthquake-hit Turkey will stop its operations on February 24, Office of Civil Defense spokesperson Raffy Alejandro said on Tuesday.
“Both teams of PIAHC (Philippine Interagency Humanitarian Contingent) will cease to operate on February 24, 2023, as their last day of operations,” Alejandro said in a bulletin.
Alejandro said the 82-man interagency contingent sent to the Middle Eastern country since February 9 will return on March 1.
As of present, the urban search and rescue team (Usar) from the area was placed on standby as prospects of finding survivors further dimmed.
“Due to decrease in chance of finding signs of life and rescue survivors, the Usar team of PIAHC was earlier placed on standby awaiting requests for assistance on retrieval operations from the Turkish Local Emergency Management Authorities,” Alejandro said.
So far, the Philippine rescue team has recovered four bodies, according to the OCD bulletin.
Meanwhile, the medical assistance team of the government continues to provide medical assistance as they cater to 668 patients, the bulletin added.
As of Monday, the death toll from the magnitude 7.8 earthquake two weeks ago rose to 41,156 in Turkey and it was expected to climb further, according to a Reuters report.
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.