Departure of workers for Israel postponed | Global News
Close  

Departure of workers for Israel postponed

/ 05:20 AM May 21, 2021

MANILA, Philippines — Labor Secretary Silvestre Bello III has stopped the scheduled deployment of 400 caregivers to Israel next week because of the ongoing hostilities between Israel and Palestine.

The Department of Foreign Affairs said no Filipino casualty had been reported since the start of clashes but it remained prepared to evacuate the 29,473 Filipinos in Israel and 91 in Gaza if they desire to return to the Philippines.

ADVERTISEMENT

Bello said the government had not banned the deployment of workers to Israel, but their departures would have to be postponed until the hostilities ease.

At that time, Philippine Overseas Employment Administration administrator Bernard Olalia said the 400 would be allowed to leave, adding that his agency was processing the papers of another batch of 500 to 600 caregivers who could be deployed after two months.

FEATURED STORIES

—DONA Z. PAZZIBUGAN

Subscribe to our global nation newsletter

By providing an email address. I agree to the Terms of Use and acknowledge that I have read the Privacy Policy.
Read Next
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: Bernard Olalia, Caregivers, DOLE, Gaza, Israel, ofws, POEA, Silvestre Bello III
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.

Subscribe to our global news

By providing an email address. I agree to the Terms of Use and
acknowledge that I have read the Privacy Policy.



© Copyright 1997-2021 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.