PH respects Malaysia’s ‘sovereign’ decision to bar Filipinos’ entry
MANILA, Philippines — Malacañang on Thursday said it respects Malaysia’s entry ban on Filipinos due to the Philippines’ high COVID-19 cases, saying it is the state’s “sovereign decision.”
Malaysia imposed an entry ban on citizens of India, Indonesia and the Philippines starting September 7.
Its health minister said the measure was to “clamp down” the spread of imported COVID-19 cases.
“Well, that’s a sovereign decision who will be allowed to enter one’s territory. I’m not saying we’re happy. I’m saying we regret the decision but we respect the sovereign decision of Malaysia,” presidential spokesperson Harry Roque said in an online briefing.
The Philippines has the highest number of coronavirus cases in Southeast Asia with a current number of over 226,000 infections followed by Indonesia with more than 180,000.
India, on the other hand, has so far recorded 3.7 million cases, the third highest in the world after the United States and Brazil.
The Inquirer Foundation supports our healthcare frontliners and is still accepting cash donations to be deposited at Banco de Oro (BDO) current account #007960018860 or donate through PayMaya using this link .
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.