DFA: No details yet if any Filipino affected in Abu Dhabi blast
MANILA, Philippines — The Philippine Embassy in Abu Dhabi has yet to confirm if there are Filipinos affected by the explosion that reportedly ripped through a restaurant on Monday.
In a statement on Monday, the Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) said that the embassy is “on the alert” and is ready to extend assistance.
“The Embassy is monitoring developments and will extend every possible assistance,” it said.
Citing a report from Philippine Ambassador to the UAE Hjayceelyn Quintana, the DFA said embassy personnel have already been dispatched at the site of the explosion to check the area.
“There are also Embassy personnel coordinating with the police,” the DFA added.
“Initial information reaching the Embassy is that there may be Filipinos working at the affected establishments but company management is not able to confirm as of this time,” it also said.
According to the DFA, latest reports from local authorities stated that it has so far reported two fatalities: the first one near the explosion site while the second one was a passer-by who was hit by debris.
“No details yet were given as to their nationalities or identities,” the DFA said.
“The Embassy joins the Filipino community in UAE in hoping that there would be no further fatalities and that others involved in the incident would have no serious injuries,” it added.
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.