Filipinos injured in Beirut blasts now at 42, 1 more reported missing — DFA
MANILA, Philippines — The Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) on Saturday reported that the number of Filipinos injured from the two powerful explosions in Beirut, Lebanon is now at 42.
This comes after 11 additional injuries were reported, according to DFA Undersecretary Sarah Arriola.
Another Filipino, meanwhile, was reported to be missing, she added. There are now two Filipinos who are reported missing in the aftermath of the blasts, the DFA said.
Meanwhile, the number of Filipinos who died from the blasts remains at four.
There are approximately 33,000 Filipinos in Lebanon, 75 percent of them in the Greater Beirut area.
Aside from this, the DFA said that it has chartered a repatriation flight to bring Filipinos home from Lebanon.
This flight, which is scheduled on Aug. 16, will also carry home the remains of the Filipinos who were killed in the blasts.
In a tweet by DFA Secretary Teodoro “Teddyboy” Locsin, he said that the DFA is paying P15 million from its funds for the chartered flight.
DFA is paying P15,000,000 from its funds for a chartered Qatar Air flight to repatriate from Beirut. PE Beirut is negotiating it and disbursing the amount. August 16 is arrival. I wish it could have been a PAL flight but I am told they are unavailable. Other flights scheduled.
— Teddy Locsin Jr. (@teddyboylocsin) August 8, 2020
The powerful explosions in Lebanon’s capital city were believed to be caused by 2,750 tons of ammonium nitrate, which had been stockpiled in a warehouse ever since it was confiscated from an impounded cargo ship in 2013.
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.