COVID-19 sickens 7 more Filipinos in Europe; total cases reach 8,980 – DFA
MANILA, Philippines — Seven more Filipinos in Europe have contracted the coronavirus disease (COVID-19), the Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) said.
Based on figures released by the DFA on Friday, the new infections brought the total number of cases among overseas Filipinos to 8,980.
Of these cases, 3,025 are still undergoing treatment while 5,321 patients have already recovered from the disease.
The total number of Filipinos abroad who succumbed to COVID-19 is not at 634 after the DFA reported one new death in the Middle East.
“The DFA confirms that, to date, the total number of Filipinos abroad who have recovered from COVID-19 remains at almost 60% of the total confirmed cases since last week,” the DFA said.
“Those who are under treatment and those who died due to the disease remain at 33% and 7%, respectively,” it added.
In the Philippines, the total number of COVID-19 reached 63,000, with 39,593 considered as active cases.
Globally, over 13 million people have so far been infected by the new coronavirus, which originated from Wuhan City in China’s Hubei province late last year. More than 574,000 have died from the disease across the world. [ac]
The Inquirer Foundation supports our healthcare frontliners and is still accepting cash donations to be deposited at Banco de Oro (BDO) current account #007960018860 or donate through PayMaya using this link .
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.