Pangilinan urges govt to bring deceased OFWs back home
MANILA, Philippines—Senator Francis “Kiko” Pangilinan on Wednesday urged the government to allow the repatriation of the fallen Overseas Filipino Workers who died of COVID-19 in Saudi Arabia.
There are 107 OFWs who succumbed to the virus in the Gulf state and Labor and Secretary Silvestre Bello III said that the bodies of would be buried in Saudi Arabia to prevent the further spread of the virus that has so far infected more than 30,000 individuals and killed more than a thousand in the Philippines.
“We urge the administration to allow the repatriation of the bodies of the OFWs who died from COVID-19 in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia,” said Pangilinan in a statement.
Strict adherence to safety and health protocols must be insured so that the transport won’t be compromised and the virus won’t infect anyone, the senator said.
Pangilinan said that there are some families who have volunteered to help the government in transporting the remains of the “fallen heroes.”
A total of 287 OFWs have died in Saudi Arabia with the other 180 Filipinos dying of other causes.
The Inquirer Foundation supports our healthcare frontliners and is still accepting cash donations to be deposited at Banco de Oro (BDO) current account #007960018860 or donate through PayMaya using this link .
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.