Duterte, Trump had cordial phone conversation on COVID-19 , says Palace
MANILA, Philippines —President Rodrigo Duterte’s telephone conversation with US President Donald Trump on possible bilateral cooperation over the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) pandemic was “cordial,” Malacañang said Monday.
Presidential spokesman Harry Roque said the communication was initiated by the US government.
He, however, did not disclose further details on the leaders’ discussion.
“Unang una, ang masasabi ko lang po, the call came in at 10:10 in the evening kagabi. Pangalawa po, it was initiated by the US government, it lasted for about 18 minutes,” Roque said in a press conference.
(First of all, what I can say is that the call came in at 10:10 in the evening last night. Second, it was initiated by the US government and lasted for about 18 minutes.)
“It was cordial. And it was about bilateral collaboration on COVID-19. But beyond that, I have no authority to divulge any further details,” he added.
The US has so far recorded the most number of novel coronavirus infections worldwide with over 750,000 cases and over 41,000 fatalities.
Health officials in the Philippines, meanwhile, have so far confirmed 6,259 cases of COVID-19 and recorded 409 deaths.
Subscribe to our global nation newsletter
The Inquirer Foundation supports our healthcare frontliners and is still accepting cash donations to be deposited at Banco de Oro (BDO) current account #007960018860 or donate through PayMaya using this link .
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.